Freshwater Moray Eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westward13

Aquarium Advice Regular
This may seem a stupid question but my lfs has a freshwater moray eel for sale... the second I've seen them have in the past couple of months. It looks just like a normal moray eel and they've got it in one of their cichlid tanks. Is this a true freshwater eel? The guy at the store said they are and that they don't require brackish water or any different water conditions in comparison to any other freshwater fish but something about it just didn't seem right to me. Are there such things as freshwater moray eels and if so, does anyone have any personal experience with them?

I believe they are born in freshwater, but as they get older naturally migrate to brackish then SW.

I could be wrong.

I currently have a fw snowflake eel. Its funny how they are always labeled as fw then after you buy it they say they need salt in the water. They are pretty easy to keep except for feeding. I have not seen mine eat in the 2 weeks I have had it but I just leave a few dead feeders or a dead molly by his cave and they seem to disappear, so I hope he is the one eating them. If any one else has any experience feeding I would be interested.

Another thing to feed them is shrimp or beef heart on a feeding stick. Mine was I a tank with ghost shrimp and minnows, but he sort of ignored them, maybe ate one when he was really hungry. Also, dont keep with other small-medium sized fish, I last an electric yellow cichlid and a shark catfish to mine, and they were big!

Beefheart is VERY fatty,you shouldn't feed it to your fish at all. Especially to one that isn't very energetic and doesn't burn off alot of fat.

Back
Top Bottom