Freshwater Pipefish Care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James G

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, my LFS recently got a freshwater pipefish, I thought this was one of the coolest things ever and thinking about getting one, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these or know the requirements like tank size, pH, temperature, etc Thanks.

I've read where it's difficult to feed FW Pipe Fish, and sponge filters should be used. Probably doesn't do well in a strong current.
I definitely would have someone at your LFS feed the fish to see how well he does, prior to buying.

I kept saltwater pipes.
I would recommend a species only tank and small. I would say a 2' long tank is biggest. Too big of a tank and they may not find food before it rots..
They are constant feeders and need live food that if you make needs to be enriched with vitamins and such.
A sponge and slow current is best as they are not able to deal with current well. You could slow a HOB or canister .
I had the marine blue stripe for almost 2 years. He was in my seahorse tank with a slow sump filter. The horses were so lazy he did not have much competition for food .
They will not compete with other fish. He was very active and I would do them again being prepared.
If the fresh are like marine the males are pretty tough on each other...Best to only have 1 IMO.

Thanks, I was thinking of putting it in my 10 gallon planted shrimp tank which already has a sponge filter, and when I first saw it the person was feeding it and It was eating brine shrimp and I think mysis.

Back
Top Bottom