Freshwater Puffer Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pokechoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do they do better with other puffers or are they okay by themselves? I have one in a 20 gallon with one knight goby. Should I get a few more or no?

Btw he is just a tiny little guy and I know they can get large. I plan on upgrading when the time is right.

They are fine by themselves. In order to have 2 you would need more than a 20G. The only exception would be if you had two dwarf puffers. Even then its still not reccomended.

If you do decide to get another, make sure you don't have two males.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure what kind you have, but most can be aggressive to their own species.

What kind do you have ? I've read that pea puffers need 5-10gal to them selves, if that's what you have I think you could get another.

After lots of researching I've kinda basically came up with ;
Tetraodon fluviatilis or green spotted puffer.
But like I said before, I am upgrading to a much larger tank in the near future. This guy is only about maybe half an inch long.
My LFS has about 10 maybe a bit less in what looks like a 15 gallon tank. When I watch them only one seems to pick on the others. (I've watched them for quite some time wanting to get the best for they are quite pricey.) Lady said they are brackish (duh) and they can be slightly aggressive toward one another. BUT my little fella just seems.... Depressed. My knight goby is doing fine . they both look healthy. Salinity is about 1.004 only because I'm trying to acclimate my plants to tolerate the salt. I plan on getting up to 1.010.

Back
Top Bottom