freshwater pufferfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisgaucher

Aquarium Advice Activist
does anyone know if theres such thing as a freshwater pufferfish? ive heard of one called a green spotted puffer. but I wasnt so convinced. I would like to get one for my tank.

GSP are brackish as juvies, as adults they are fully marine animals. A lot of people don't know that. There are freshwater dwarf puffers. Sooo cute!

I did no that but I thought it was the other way around. so you recomend that puffer?

The dwarf puffer, yes. I would only recommend a species tank though. I don't have too much experience with the gsp, but gosh they are too cute!

Pea puffers are full fresh water and do not have to be changed over to brackish or salt. They are very small only get about 3/4 inch long. If you decide to get one of these little fish please do allot of research on them they are not like taking care of most fresh water fish they have special needs.

Nimo said:
Pea puffers are full fresh water and do not have to be changed over to brackish or salt. They are very small only get about 3/4 inch long. If you decide to get one of these little fish please do allot of research on them they are not like taking care of most fresh water fish they have special needs.

+1 they are for the experienced aquarist.

I just looked up the dwarf puffer. it looked great. however it says thay I should keep it a species only tank and id like to put it with my other fish. so I think that one is out of the question.

chrisgaucher said:
I just looked up the dwarf puffer. it looked great. however it says thay I should keep it a species only tank and id like to put it with my other fish. so I think that one is out of the question.

If that's the case, I think most if not all fw puffys are out of the question. I'm not sure on that though.

ok and im not very experienced. any other ideas?
I would like something a little bigger than the pea puffer.

To my knowledge all of the puffers are recommended as species only because they are territorial and they and can and often do make snacks of the other fish in the tank, even will eat each other in a tank that is not properly set up.

There is also a South American Puffer that is strictly freshwater.
Colomesus asellus

I want some but theyare proving hard to find.

You have the avocado puffer and red eyed puffer. Species tank is best. Pea puffers are more peaceful and will get along with short finned fish if they are well fed.

All freshwater puffers not recommended in any community tank. If you try, then have melafix available to heal the wounded and scoop out the dead. It might not happen soon, but it will likely happen later. Or by lucky chance you get something that is not too bad at all. DPs is the first choice. Every other freshwater puffers are last choice.

Pick up latest issue of Aquarium Fish Int. And there is a great article covering actual freshwater puffer fish.

Another very cool FW puffer is the Fahaka. Needs a min. of a 75g tank. They grow rather large.

The mbu puffer grows even larger and requires a huge tank.

Both are awesome fish, but require large tank and massive filtration as puffers are very messy fish.

120g or bigger with 24inch turning radius is the absolute minimum. Anything smaller should be temporary for a fahaka.

I have a fahaka too. He/she is really cool and eats live and frozen. So far I have two zig zag eels and a royal pleco and all is fine so far.

Attachments

• image-3897510134.jpg
    image-3897510134.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom