Freshwater Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1HellerofaGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I saw some freshwater puffers at my LFS. I'm considering adding a few to my tank. What can anyone tell me about keeping them? Do they like a brackish water? Will they be ok in a semi-aggressive tank? Any help would be appreciated.

If they are the leopard puffer /green spotted puffer, they will need to eventually be around 1.020 specific gravity (pretty much marine salinity) when they reach adulthood, and brackish in between. As babies they are OK in freshwater, although they can be aggressive during feeding time and are very territorial. I would consider them an expert level fish.

I would love to have one, as they are so cool to watch, but it's recommended to basically be in a 29+ gallon by itself, with maybe a few Bumblebee gobies. They must eat snails and small oysters on a half shell to grind down their beak as it never stops growing. They become predators as adults and feeding them live ghost shrimp is what most people do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What kind are they? Dwarf/pea puffers are fw, Amazon are fw, figure 8 and gsp are brackish.

Back
Top Bottom