Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2006, 03:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

freshwater question

i have a question and i was thinking about maybe trying it is possible
has anyone ever heard of putting different kinds of trout in a aquarium? i am an avid freshwater fisherman and i love to fish for trout, but i never heard of anyone having tout in their aquarium. i have malawi cichlids now, but i was thinking about purchasing a new tank for trout or pennsylvania freshwater game fish. any ideas i think that it would be cool. thanks

Old 05-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some people have attempted it, but it is illegal in most states to keep wild game fish in an aquarium. Check with your local laws.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Trout need cold water and a large tank, and keeping them in a room without any kind of a chiller may cause problems.

Someday I'll have to get you to tell me some good fishing spots in PA I haven't fished in years, but wouldn't mind finding a nice trout stream.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree with the others. You'd have to check with your local laws, but chances are it is illegal.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The PA fish and boat commision website states that if it is of legal size and legaly caught you can keep it in your aquarium basicaly if it is legal to eat it is legal to keep. But keeping trout may be tricky the biggest problem to overcome would be keeping the aquarium at proper tempetures.
If I may ask wereabouts are you in PA.

Tags
freshwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com