Freshwater Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bry1105

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to give my 46 gal freshwater community tank the "feel" of a salt water tank. What type of sand or crushed coral can I use for substrate? It is a good/bad idea? Thanks!

I use Estes' Marine Sand Ultra Reef. It is NOT calcium based, it is inert. It is VERY even in size, sinks quickly (no burnt out filters), and comes in assorted colors. I like either all black or black and white mixed. They also have beige (barely off-white) and blue. It is definitely sand but just large enough to not cause compaction or toxic anoxic pockets of bacteria. At about the samd cost as gravel it is the best substrate for 99% of tanks in my experience.

Yes, it's a great idea! :D
I was never fond of sand until I got Cories. Regular gravel is too rough on their barbels so sand is perfect and soft for them.

I got "Super Naturals" or something like that. I only had to rinse it 2 or 3 times and it never clouds my water.

It's much easier to siphon, too. You just hover the siphon above the top layer of sand, don't stick it in or else it will suck up some of the sand.

The only problem I have with sand is that I find the bottom of the tank looks dirtier than gravel. The debris cannot fit through the sand spacing so it just rests right on top... so I'm itching to suck up that stuff by the end of the week on PWC day.

Then again, it's healthier for the fish that way. See, with gravel, waste or uneaten food sinks and gets caught between the gravel at the very bottom, which can be hard to access by a siphon. With sand, it's easy to suck up everything that will create Ammonia.

So, I think it's really great. It look so nice.
I'm perfectly happy with mine. It's really soft and wonderful.

Again, I HIGHLY recommend this brand: CaribSea Super Naturals Moonlight Sand Premium Aquarium Substrate at PETCO
It is SUPER easy to rinse before adding to your aquarium.

My only warning for you is to mix the sand with your hand every now and then, to prevent those toxic anoxic pockets of bacteria.

Good luck!
Hope this helps :)

At the suggestion of a couple of people here, I picked up Quikrete medium sand at Home Depot. 50lb bag is under $5. It's pre-washed. Works great. Had almost no cloudiness. It's almost white; I think it looks awesome.

Yep, Quikrete is a popular brand - it's not technically PFS but for all intents and purposes, it's the same thing. PFS = pool filter sand, that's what I have in my tank. I got mine from a pool supply store.

I bought real aquarium sand for my first sand-bottom tank and paid $40 for it... I bought PFS for my second sand-bottom tank and paid $10 for it. Also, PFS is larger grain than play sand, and I don't have any anaerobic pockets (although that could be due to my burrowing snails).

Hope that helps :)

ill just add crushed coral shouldnt be used as a substrate in almost every case. the others are right on about the sand.

plus 1
Yes, it's a great idea! :D
I was never fond of sand until I got Cories. Regular gravel is too rough on their barbels so sand is perfect and soft for them.

I got "Super Naturals" or something like that. I only had to rinse it 2 or 3 times and it never clouds my water.

It's much easier to siphon, too. You just hover the siphon above the top layer of sand, don't stick it in or else it will suck up some of the sand.

The only problem I have with sand is that I find the bottom of the tank looks dirtier than gravel. The debris cannot fit through the sand spacing so it just rests right on top... so I'm itching to suck up that stuff by the end of the week on PWC day.

Then again, it's healthier for the fish that way. See, with gravel, waste or uneaten food sinks and gets caught between the gravel at the very bottom, which can be hard to access by a siphon. With sand, it's easy to suck up everything that will create Ammonia.

So, I think it's really great. It look so nice.
I'm perfectly happy with mine. It's really soft and wonderful.

Again, I HIGHLY recommend this brand: CaribSea Super Naturals Moonlight Sand Premium Aquarium Substrate at PETCO
It is SUPER easy to rinse before adding to your aquarium.

My only warning for you is to mix the sand with your hand every now and then, to prevent those toxic anoxic pockets of bacteria.

Good luck!
Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom