Freshwater, Seeking Questions & Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jijarine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've set up a 20-gallon tank with some driftwood, gravel, living plants, etc. I have 4 molly's, a bottom feeder that is growing larger VERY quickly and one orange fish I can't remember the breed name. My question is, with the one bottom feeder I am still getting green algae on just about everything, would it be wise to purchase another?

I also wanted to incorporate some other fish into the tank, but I know not too many. Which would be a good addition and how many?

Here's some photos, would love any advice, suggestions, etc

IMG_2567 by Jijarine, on Flickr
General overview of tank

IMG_2568 by Jijarine, on Flickr
Algee on the glass

IMG_2570 by Jijarine, on Flickr
What kind of fish is that?

IMG_2572 by Jijarine, on Flickr
The water evaporates faster with the top off, but I find it easier to access, clean, feed, etc

Can you give a picture of the bottom feeder? The orange fish looks like a Platty, but I could be mistaken. As for the algae, I would invest in an algae scraper to deal with the stuff on the glass, and cut back on light. Also, how much is the light on? Have you tested the water recently? Bottom feeders don't just "eat any and all algae on anything", different fish eat different algae, differing amount of it.

The bottom feeder looks similar to this one, when I purchased it three weeks ago it was about the size of a penny, now it is about 2 inches long.

ancistrus.jpg

The light (LED) is on day mode all day, then I put it on night mode at night; low blue-purple light. It's never turned off.

Thanks for the info about the orange fish!

I feed them twice a day, about a two pinches of tropical flakes. Once in the morning and once at night.

I'd like to add some more fish to the aquarium but I don't want to unbalance it.

So that bottom feeder is a Plecostomous (excuse the spelling), aside from a handful of oddball species, Plecos (as they're commonly known) get HUGE. I've seen common and sailfish pleco litterally 20 inches long a year old. On top of that, very few plecos are actually GOOD algae eaters, do they all eat algae? Yes, but are they all good at it? Nope. I'd swap it for either Otto Catfish, they're OUTSTANDING algae eaters, but need small groups, so get minimum of 3 of them, preferably 5. Or some RC Shrimp, they are excellent algae eaters too.

You're feeding is fine, but I might feed more than a TINY pinch morning and night, a decent pinch. Also, you'll need some sort of sinking food for any sort of bottom feeder, they can't survive on scraps alone, somthing like shrimp pellets or algae wafers.

Is that light LED then? Do you have it on FULL power all day? Having it on all day is WAY too much light for a tank that size at full power, that's the source of your algae issue.

What would I do with the current bottom feeder? I'd like to keep it and add the Otto Catfish and some shrimp. Would that be overkill? I would think as long as I purchase some food as you suggested: shrimp pellets or algae wafers. Then adding those in would be ok?

I'll start moderating the light, I know there is a way to program it to act as the day passes, turn from morning to mid-day to afternoon to evening to dark, etc.

The pleco will way, way outgrow your tank. You should take it back to the fish store.

The pleco will way, way outgrow your tank. You should take it back to the fish store.

Found out it's not a pleco, I was told the name but I can't remember. Something that started with a "B". I picked up three Otto and a "shark" fish that eats algae and moss. Was a very nice addition.

definitely a red platy (I have one) and use some algae killing stuff in your water.

The orange fish is a red platy?

I prefer to improve the echo system of the tank by buying fish that will eat the algae and improve the quality. No chemicals! :)

Any sort of shark fish also grow too large for a 20G Long. Ottos are perfect for you, but find out what that other fish is, or see if you can snap a picture.

Looks like some kind of pleco for your bottom feeder don't relay on plecos to clean the algae some go nuts and others like mine are lazy and try to steal prawns from my fish get a scraper and don't let it get to bad some algae is ok like decorations driftwood but to much is no good also you. An fine scrapers that also come with a scoop and scrub brush attatchment

It is a pleco, atm it looks like a bristlenose, probably female or too young to have bristles yet.

For algae, put your lights on a timer and it shouldn't be a problem anymore. And you will probably have to take the 'shark' back, the fish usually labelled sharks get at least 6 inches or more

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First off how long has this tank been running? Some algae blooms are perfectly natural in a cycling system. If you are sure it is completely cycled then it would be your lighting. Thats a current freshwater led so it has the juice to grow algae when its left on too long. Cut the light down to six to eight hours a day the plants will be fine. Remember that algae is a simple plant itself with even simpler nutritional needs. It can take advantage of excess light to metabolize ferts that regular plants cannot unless it's in a matrix with other ferts. Oh and that pleco is fine. It looks like a Bristlenose. It definitely isn't a tankbuster they are recommended for smaller tanks since they only get about five inches, seven max. He was just a baby when you got him but he HAS been cleaning your tank or he wouldn't have gotten that big that fast. He just cant keep up. You don't need to get the ottos or shrimp unless you want them. Always test your water before adding anything else. As long as it tests out ok I'd say you can get more fish.

First off how long has this tank been running? Some algae blooms are perfectly natural in a cycling system. If you are sure it is completely cycled then it would be your lighting. Thats a current freshwater led so it has the juice to grow algae when its left on too long. Cut the light down to six to eight hours a day the plants will be fine. Remember that algae is a simple plant itself with even simpler nutritional needs. It can take advantage of excess light to metabolize ferts that regular plants cannot unless it's in a matrix with other ferts. Oh and that pleco is fine. It looks like a Bristlenose. It definitely isn't a tankbuster they are recommended for smaller tanks since they only get about five inches, seven max. He was just a baby when you got him but he HAS been cleaning your tank or he wouldn't have gotten that big that fast. He just cant keep up. You don't need to get the ottos or shrimp unless you want them. Always test your water before adding anything else. As long as it tests out ok I'd say you can get more fish.

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom