freshwater snail identification assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kangaroomunich

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I am new to this website and this is my first post.

I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer who might know something about aquatic snails.

Recently I bought a second hand aquarium with guppies included. After taking out the guppies and transferring them into another tank and all the water out, I noticed that there was a snail at the bottom that had been hiding in the gravel. It had come out and was slowly pulling itself around.

Firstly, I have no idea about snails…. so can anyone tell me what type of snail it is (see pic)? It seems to be quite harmless, doesn’t eat the aquatic vegetation or bother the fish so I am quite happy to leave it alone. The kids actually quite like ‘him’. If it is not some nasty snail, what does it eat … there is usually no fish flake left over that sinks to the bottom as the fish eat everything before it hits the gravel! So I don’t know what it is surviving on. It is currently about 5cm long, dark brown and cone shaped with a few coil patterns on the shell, doesn't move much and likes to burrow in the gravel.

Any insights greatly appreciated.

tks

Attachments

• IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 83
Welcome to the forum :) the snail you have is a lava snail. I have one and yes its harmless, they like pellets, algae wafers and veg. Nice find. 1408397210129.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

hi everyone, thanks to you all for the welcoming me to the group. ShellyX you are a star for solving the mystey ... 'Basti' the lava snail is now munching away on a piece of cucumber at the back of the aquarium and seems to be quite happy in his new environment (now that he has something to eat as well!). cheers

Back
Top Bottom