Freshwater Stingrays?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the smallest freshwater Stingray and what is the minimum sized tank for it? What do they eat and how big do they get?
Thanks

you may find this site helpful. Sounds like the smallest is 2 feet or more including tail. You`d be looking at it seems a tank that is at least 2 meters long and 1 meter wide. This site really goes into more detail though.

Stingray aquarium

I think I would need a larger tank... my tank is only 18 inches thick so I guess they would get to wide for that

I think I would need a larger tank... my tank is only 18 inches thick so I guess they would get to wide for that

yea, most certainly. A height of about 26 inches is usually good but where they spend most of their time traveling on the bottom they really need to big foot space. Volume isn't as important it seems as foot space. Bet it would be hard to find a tank that is wide enough

tamtam said:
yea, most certainly. A height of about 26 inches is usually good but where they spend most of their time traveling on the bottom they really need to big foot space. Volume isn't as important it seems as foot space. Bet it would be hard to find a tank that is wide enough

Yeah mine is 6 feet long so its great in length but would need to be a lot wider.

The height of the tank is also important, even though rays spend most of their time on the bottom. You will need at least three or more inches of sand for the Ray to burrow in to. Your looking at 180+ gallons

With stingrays if water conditions change even alittle bit they can die quickly. So i always recommend bigger tanks so you can more time to respond to changed. I would say 200+ widder the better.

Also make sure you don't have any fish that will stress out your stingray they will die if they have to much stress.

Ok thanks guys! I guess my tank is to small but just wondering how much do they cost?

Stingrays cost anywhere from 100-1000 dollars. They're usually considered fish reserved for the 'rich' because they die very easily in the first couple of months, and they're so expensive the average person can't afford to buy more than one, say $300 ray of the first dies.

As for tanks, I've never seen a 180+ for under $300 in MY area, but sometimes you find a deal, especially if you live in other areas near cities.

I'm not positive but teacup stingrays are attractive fish. They might be able to live in a 150 depending on your existing stock.

Samzter said:
I'm not positive but teacup stingrays are attractive fish. They might be able to live in a 150 depending on your existing stock.

They cost to much money for me maybe when I'm retired and I have more time and money for a bigger tank. I'm only 15 so buying my 150 cost me almost all my savings!! But in the future I would love to have one!

Oh, they say a reticulated/teacup stingray can live in a 125, but it's about the only species an still gets a 12-15" disc

I owned a teacup stingray before in my 180G and he was $69.99 at my LFS, they are expensive but not so much the teacups, they're prob the cheapest ones out there

Back
Top Bottom