Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Freshwater tank need advice.

I have had a freshwater take for a while and it includes a Albino horned pleco , sum sort of tuxedo guppy, also a few lamp eyes. And a cross bread between the lamp eyes and tuxedo.
1st question anyone know the proper names for these fish all of the including the half breed.
2. What's should I be looking for when I am looking for eggs.
3. I have a pleco and he is huge now and cleanses the tank well but recently I changed the water and it is still cloudy is it because I washed all the good green algae from the filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2667398256.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	187046   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3688078633.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	187047  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3401103134.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	187048  

Old 07-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperShane View Post
I have had a freshwater take for a while and it includes a Albino horned pleco , sum sort of tuxedo guppy, also a few lamp eyes. And a cross bread between the lamp eyes and tuxedo.
1st question anyone know the proper names for these fish all of the including the half breed.
2. What's should I be looking for when I am looking for eggs.
3. I have a pleco and he is huge now and cleanses the tank well but recently I changed the water and it is still cloudy is it because I washed all the good green algae from the filter.
How big is the tank? Nice pleco, but careful with the eggs of the other fish around him.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy1111 View Post

How big is the tank? Nice pleco, but careful with the eggs of the other fish around him.
I have two 15gal tanks.
And yea I know he eats them and the baby's if they get to close.
I am just looking for some more info on algae and on the types of fish I have so I can do better research my local fish store is full of morons.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

1. Guppies are named for their color. Tuxedo means his back hals is all one color. That is all. The lamp eye tetras are just that. The pleco looks like a female albino bristlenose. How large is it? The guppies and lamp eye tetras can't crossbreed. Likely you just got a strange color morph tetra.

2. The eggs will look like white spots. Without special food and a seperate tank for them I would just ignore the eggs and let them be eaten.

3. How long has this tank been set up? What are your parameters? How often do you do water changes? How long do you leave your lights on?

All of those questions will help us out with your tank cloudiness..

Also, what are you feeding your pleco? Most people think they live solely off of algae. While they do eat algae they certainly need a protein source and more food than algae provides or they will starve to death.

Common belief is that a pleco of any type shouldn't be kept in an aquarium less than 30g while some breeds need 100+ gallons. If that is indeed a bristlenose pleco he will get a bit too large for your tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com