Freshwater testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlbinoShark53

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wondering what the most accurate ways of water testing is. I've heard that test strips aren't very reliable but they are my only choice, there being no fish-specialized stores where I live. I'm very strict on my water being close to perfection but I can't do that if I don't have a reliable source. Any suggestions?

Sent using Messenger Pigeon

Tank Water Testing

Just wondering what the most accurate ways of water testing is. I've heard that test strips aren't very reliable but they are my only choice, there being no fish-specialized stores where I live. I'm very strict on my water being close to perfection but I can't do that if I don't have a reliable source. Any suggestions?

Hello Al...

API's liquid testing kits are pricey, but worth the price if you need to test the tank water. You can get one online, I'm sure.

I totally agree with you on the issue of the need for the best possible water conditions. Although, I haven't tested the water in my tanks that require water changes for some years. I've found if I change enough water and change it often enough, I don't have to worry about dissolved wastes remaining in the tank long enough to present a problem for my fish.

B

How long do the API tests last or how many tests can be taken?

I did the strips for a bit then switched to API master kit. I change water twice a week so don't need to test water very often but when I do I trust liquid tests more than strips.

The API FW Master Test Kit retails for $21.99 on Amazon. It includes pH, high range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. The product description states that over 800 tests can be performed. I'm guessing that is for the entire kit. If you average that out for the 5 different tests it comes out the 160 tests each. Even if you tested once a week, then that will last about 3 years. Of course, you would want to keep the expiration date in consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The API FW Master Test Kit retails for $21.99 on Amazon. It includes pH, high range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. The product description states that over 800 tests can be performed. I'm guessing that is for the entire kit. If you average that out for the 5 different tests it comes out the 160 tests each. Even if you tested once a week, then that will last about 3 years. Of course, you would want to keep the expiration date in consideration.

Thanks! I will look into it but I can't promise myself anything.

I'm addicted to testing

I usually test while cycling a tank but after that not so frequently.
Once you get into a healthy pattern of WCs and feeding, things should not change unless you change the stocking level, change filters, substrate, etc.
Currently I only test nitrates and phosphates in my planted tank.

I buy most of my supplies at Drs Foster & Smith. If you spend $50.00 you get free shipping. That's were I bought my API Master Test Kit. The bottles of testing fluid last a long time. You can probably buy it at Amazon too.

I usually test while cycling a tank but after that not so frequently.
Once you get into a healthy pattern of WCs and feeding, things should not change unless you change the stocking level, change filters, substrate, etc.

Same here!

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom