Freshwater (Zig Zag) eel wont eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mulishafan90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a zig zag eel but one of my tanks is too overstocked and the other is still cycling so I had to resort to putting the eel in a 10 gallon with plenty of fake plants and this japanese style house he hides in... he is about 9-10 inches long. He stays in the house all day and will not eat so what should I do? He has been in the tank for about 8 hours before I tried feeding him so maybe he is not acclimated yet? I don't know but he will be in this tank for maybe a week and I want to keep him healthy.

Try throwing half a bloodworm cube in there. Right under his nose. If that doesnt work: nightcrawlers.

I fed my yellow tail eel the same day I got him and he did well. I agree with sharkbait54. Fish that aren't settled won't eat.

I tried feeding him black worm but he wont eat so I will put the worms in front of him with one of those syringe things. When should I feed him? Do these usually eat at night because I usually feed my fish around 6 in the afternoon.

Oh, I have had him for 3 days and he WILL NOT EAT. Im getting worried. 2 days ago I moved him to my 55 gallon, which has been up for 6 months w/ nitrates at 20. I sucked up black worm w/ the syringe and put a ton right in front of him and he stared at them for a minute and swam off. The worms are just going to my 3 zebra loach. The tank has sand, tons of hiding places, decor, and plants, and theirs no reason he should be stressed. The only thing i can think of are my tiger barb, as the rest of my fish are passive, but they keep to themselves. Altogether in the tank I have the eel, 6 tiger barb, 3 zebra loach, a dalmation molly, rainbow shark, and thats it. Idk if the shark and barb are stressing him out cuz Ive been keeping an eye out and the fish are always calm and the shark hides all day. It is a peaceful tank so idk. What time do they usually eat? Do they only eat at night? I feed him around 7 right before turning the light off. Btw ph is at 7.6 and I did a 40% water change the day before getting him, using a ex70 aqueon filter with filters changed a week ago. I also have 2 bubble stones to keep oxygen up.

I have a 35 gallon I could put him in if barb are the issue, but that would stress him out more and idk how long he can go without eating...

Oh he is also pretty active, every time I look in the tank hes in a new hiding spot and I see him sliding around the bottom and swimming pretty often.

Back
Top Bottom