Friday was clear - today is cloudy! ** UPDATE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's been a couple of weeks since I've posted on this subject. Last week I did a BIG water change. I'm not sure if it was smart of me, but I did it. I moved the decor from one side of the tank to the other and vaccuumed the gravel as much as I could. Then, I moved the decor back to the other side and did the same. When all was said and done, I had vaccuumed just about every inch of the gravel and had taken out about 50% of the water.

I gave the water some time to settle and then I put in some of the Tetra EasyBalance in. As of right now, the water hasn't returned to green, but it is still very cloudy. Nowhere near as bad as it was, but it's getting there!

My question now is, I did a full dose of the Easy Balance last week. I haven't done anything since to the water. Should I wait a full week to add another dose? Should I do maybe half a dose? Should I do another pwc and give another dose?

Thanks,
- Mandy

PS. My Gouramis are still doing great through all of this! :D These are the same two Gouramis that I started out with. I'm anxiously awaiting the chance to get them some more tankmates! I can't wait to get this green water under control!

But to answer your question, yes wait a week and add another full dose. Every sunday i do a pwc so after i finished the pwc, i would add the easybalance. Thus i was adding easybalance once every week. I added the full dose as directed by the bottle. (1 tspn for every 5gallons) You have to be patient with this stuff. The effect is gradual. Keep adding every week until the green water is gone.

Someone suggested today that I may be having a hard time with my water due to the fact that I have to many lights in my office. As of right now, I have 4 fluorescent lights; 1 in the doorway, 1 over my desk, 1 over my co-worker's desk, and 1 directly over the fish tank. I never even thought that this could be part of the problem, but now that I think of it.. it seems pretty logical. Now the question is, if this is part of the problem, how can I fix it? I'm thinking that the light over the fish tank needs to go, but should I do something to the other 3? Also, should I change the timer on my tanks light to cut down time as well? As of right now it's set to come on at 8am and shut off at 4pm.

Thanks once again. :)
- Mandy

PS. I should make it known that my office doesn't get ANY sunlight (that's why the owner of the company gave me the fish tank). Also, the office lights themselves do not come on over the weekend, but the timer on the fish tank turns the aquarium light from 8-4.

I do not believe that fluorescent lighting from that far away could put you over the edge wattage-wise enough to cause green water. Tanks in poorly lit rooms can get it, too, so I hesitate to implicate the celiing fixtures, but perhaps I underestimate the light in your office.

If you are not growing plants then I'd try a 9-4 lighting cycle, or, which has worked for me for other types of algae, giving the tank a "siesta" period in the middle of the day, so you would have the lights on from 8-12, off for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then on again until 4 or whenever you leave for the day.

I did another water change yesterday and when I came in to work this morning, I could actually see the background for the first time since this whole mess started!!! I'm sooooooooooooooooo excited!!!

The water still has a milky cloudiness to it, but I'm so close to where I want to be. Since I'm so close, would it do any harm to do another water change today? I just did one yesterday so I don't want to cause any harm to my Gouramis (who have been doing wonderfully through this whole thing thankfully!!).

Thanks,
- Mandy

Just thought I'd update you all again.

The water in my aquarium was looking really good the week before last. Then on the week of the 4th I was on vacation so no cleanings or maintainence was done. I went back to work to a green tank on Monday. I did a pwc Tuesday and got it back to looking cloudy (the hazy, milky looking cloudy) and it's been sitting like that since the cleaning. I've brought water samples to 3 lfs and they've all come back as fine after the tests. I've been doing several water changes and I've tried using the Easy Balance, but nothing seems to be working. What else can I do? Is it possible that the water from the building is THAT bad and that it'll never be clear again?

- Mandy

I'd still say phosphate is your culprit. It is not something that a LFS would test for and report back to you about - it is not "bad" in that it is not dangerous for the fish, but it is a very common contributing problem to algae issues.

You can tote in water for changes on this tank, or go to Drs. Foster and Smith and get one of their UV sterilizers they have on sale right now. You will never look back once you hook one of those babies up! You'll also never have a problem with ich or many other parasites while you are running one.

Thanks!

I'll check into one of the UV sterlizers. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend that much money, but I'm really tired of fighting with the water! :(

Jchillin - I'm using the filter that actually came with the tank. I believe it's an AquaClear 3000.

- Mandy

It is most likely PO4, and water changes and being conservitive with feeding, the fish, should help alot.. turning the filter off durring feedings should also help..

if big, frequent water changes are not getting it under controll then there is likely PO4 in the tapwater, enough to cause the problem, and a PO4 absorbing media could be used to help in that situation. A PO4 testkit would help alot in diagnosing the problem and would be a wise investment before going out and getting a UV unit...

I know that there are people that think that big water changes will cause green water to get worse from mico nutrients but the fact of the matter is if you illiminate all of the PO4 the greenwater will not have any fuel and will be forced to die..
This is assuming that you have a fish-only tank..

Right - we suggested PO4 back on the first page, I think, so c'mon, lets get that test kit and get to the bottom of this! :wink:

I did bring a water sample to a lfs and was told it was fine. Maybe they just tested for other stuff and not Phosphate like I asked? I'll definitely go and look for a test so I can test it myself. :)

Thanks again!
- Mandy

I have never seen a pet store test for PO4 and besides that point you need the numbers not its fine.. They most likely dont know what there talking about considering your giving them a water sample from a tank that has greenwater and they are telling you that the waters fine, think about it for a second...LOL.. you need your own testkits..

Back
Top Bottom