Frog sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattman0182

Aquarium Advice Regular
The past 2 days he has just been floating along at the top of the tank. He doesnt seem active at all. He lets me pick him up instead of swimming away. Is this a very bad sign or could he just be lazy? He was only 4 bucks and has a 30 day garuntee...but I still dont want anything to happen to him.

He has eaten dried bloodworms and some brine shrimp. But refuses to eat the pellets.

over the past couple days a white filmy substance has gone from his back to his foot...he cant open the web all the way. Is this maybe skin? I tried to remove it gently, but he seems so fragile I had no success.

Sorry if this is a stupid question...but its my first dwarf frog do I dont know how to tell what their normal behavior is.

there is a good chance that the white film is him shedding his skin. I have never ever seen it take a couple of days. I in no way have the knowledge to say it cant take that long. Almost all of mine will spend a good bit of time floating at the top when the lights are out. if he is eating dried bloodworms and brine shrimp then that is good. Try taking some flake food and feading it to him. if you will rub it between your fingers to make it smaller powder like he will really like it. Mine really dont care for pellets most of the time if the suck it in they turn right around and spit it out.

Have you made sure that you dont have a high amonia count in your watter. There skin is very sinsitive and amonia can give them sorta a sun burn.

Mike

Amonia should be fine as I just had it tested yesterday. I also have to Upside Down Cats in the tank and they seem to be going fine. He has started to move more, but still at the top.

I am think that, whatever that clear/white substance is on his foot is stopping him from opening up the webbing...maybe thats why he is not diving. I tried to remove it...but thats hard to do because of the tiny little legs and feet. Hopefully it will just fall off.

do you have any wood or rocks that he can rub against. I have watched mine shed there skin by rubbing it off on rocks.

Mike

I have 6 plants...greek columns, and a statue..but all at the bottom. The only thing towards the top is the heater..which is under the filter exhaust..which kind of blows him away from the eater. Also one of the cats stays on the heater and he doesnt go near it. I dont want to keep handling him as I have tried that twice.

Im guessing that substance is skin dunno what else it could be. Its on his leg and fut..so he pretty much doesnt move it.

Here is a pic of that stuff on his/her leg.....sorry for the bad quality.
img_976103_0_567d329e705c6d87fdc7aa1604f558cd.jpg

Well some upsetting news: Whatever that is on his leg (wether its skin or smth else) has made the entire leg and foot unusable. Yesterday he got that leg stuck in the filter grille and would have drowned if I did not free him. That leg looks thinner than the one he can still use...but doesnt look mangled. I dont know what happened. He can barely swim now. I found him upside down on the bottom so I brought him to the top where he has been all day. He has no energy, but is still alive with 3 functional legs. I am thinking that if he gets to the bottom again, he wont make it back up and could drown. I just feel like there isnt much I can do for him but to wait and see what happens.

I would move him to a smaller container with less filtration so he doesnt get stuck or drown. I used to have frogs but have never heard of this before. You might want to do some searches on google to see if anyone else has had this problem

Back
Top Bottom