Frog Situation; Epilogue *update*; The Bizarre Final Chapter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some of you may remember my frog-related crisis of last week;

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98565

Well, I got a deal on a new tank for the three of them to live in and got everything set up to move everyone back in from the rubbermaid container they'd been living in. I'd had the lid taped on it so that my kitties wouldn't be tempted to do something bad. I would just lift it off a corner and drop some food in and close it up again. I would make sure I saw someone inside, and a few times I poked around to see some froggie movement, but I had put their driftwood and some hornwort and clay pots in also so it was a little crowded in there and they were always under the driftwood anyway (just like in the old tank too). I never got to see everything that was going on inside. Tonight I went to move them into the new place, and when I removed the driftwood from the Rubbermaid, I saw a shocking sight.

2 frogs. Two incredibly fat frogs.

And so it is... Lumpy the Frog has gone to Frog Heaven. He was a good frog. He is survived by his tankmates Quasimodo and Normal in whom his spirit will live on, at least until he has been fully digested.

RIP Lumpy.
img_806531_0_806ad56cc109d3e05c7ce481ebeddb46.jpg

Thanks all. Yes, Lumpy was the frog in the Matrix (i am so impressed that you remember that pic :) You can even see his namesake lump in it). That reminds me, I will have to update the status of my frog page too. He was kind of my favourite... I would always find him hanging around in unusual ways.

I am having a hard time believing that these frogs could consume one of their own in such a short time without me even noticing :(

The good news is that I don't have to feel bad for getting only a 20 gallon tank. I thought the 3 of them should have more like 30, but as it turns out, 20 will do just nicely.

I love your frog page! And all the other pages too. I also feel incredibly smart for knowing what all the acronyms mean. Hee hee.

Thanks Landghoti.

I am still missing my amphibious pal and have given the tankmates who devoured him a firm "Bad frogs! No!" I can tell that they feel bad and know they did wrong.

Just kidding. They're savages and would do it again in a heartbeat. I have to assume that Lumpy was dead or dying, I just still can't believe it happened the way it did.

I would really like to show off a pic of the new tank, but in an (apparently) unrelated incident, my camera has taken ill. I 'd better not leave it too close to the frog tank or they may spot it as weak and make a meal out of it.

I got a call from my building's resident manager today.

I live in a strange sort of townhouse-style condo building where I have a first floor suite and share a basement with the suite above me.

My neighbour found Lumpy. In the basement. In a... mousetrap.

The Rubbermaid had been set up right beside a very large vent. There was a small hole in the lid, which I kept covered most of the time. But not all the time. I just never thought the hole was actually big enough for the frog to fit through. I should have known better. I know these guys have the reputation of escape artists.

He made it a very very long way before meeting his demise. A noble break for freedom indeed. At least I can forgive the other two frogs now.

OMG that is unbelievable! I can attest to the fact that frogs are great escape artists. As you say you can forgive the other two frogs now. I bet your neighbour was a tad shocked.

You have got to be making this up.

Oh, Lumpy. You died bravely and after an heroic journey. Your brothers, I'm sure, are forgiving of your keeper for labeling them cannibals.....

SWEET LORD.

RIP, Lumpy.

What a crazy story! You'll still be telling this one to your grandchildren, lol!!!

Nope, it's no joke.

I had been having a hard time believing that the other frogs had devoured him, but I truly couldn't imagine that he could have ever gotten out. I did check all around the area, but it never occurred to me to check the basement! I really thought that was the only possible explanation.

I was very worried that this would be the sort of thing that all the residents of my building would hate and judge me forever over. But the manager, kind soul that he is, was mostly calling to see if I wanted to take the remains or if he should take care of them for me. He also described the message he received from my neighbour as "bemused".

So at least no one is traumatized except for me.

My mission for tomorrow is to figure out where that vent really goes. I think that he must have not only survived the trip through the vent, but the subsequent fall to the floor, as it appears to come out in the basement ceiling as it's an air return vent, not the actual heat vent. I need to identify which one it is, so I can figure out how much farther he made it and then calculate the full length of his final journey.

O...M...G.

Lumpy probably was reading your computer one day and thought, "Hmmm..the Matrix, yeeeeah! I could do that."

And he did.

Back
Top Bottom