Froggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had african clawed frogs and aquatic dwarf frogs before. I was wondering what you guys think of them as an addition to a commuity tank. I haven't found anyone who knows much about these little guys (one store actually sold me african clawed as dwarfs... imagine my surprise 5 years later when they are still alive and freaking huge!). Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

ADF's can be added to some community tanks. I have an ACF (used to be 2 but Ozzy passed), and keep her in her own tank.

I have had them in with goldfish before, almost without incident. I think a dwarf got eaten recently but this particular one was quite elderly, so it may not have been the actualy cause of death.

I am setting up a new community tank that I would like to have tetras, barbs, maybe a bala shark or two and I wouldn't mind a couple of these frogs.

my Clawed frog will eat anything she can fit in her mouth (she loves feeder goldfish)
i would only keep audult frogs with fish they can not eat, and who will not eath them

Here is a good site for dwarf frogs. It also has a talk forum like here.
http://www.flippersandfins.net/
I had my african dwarf frog in with my goldfish without problems. She even bit at them (3") to stay away from HER bloodworms! She even eats from my hand. She now lives with my snails, an otto cat, a japanese guppy & shrimp. I've had her almost a year. Very fun creature.
Good luck with your decision. You do know not to keep africans and clawed frogs together.. THe clawed get large and will eat the africans - and as was stated... pretty much anything they can get in their mouths.
As long as the tank isn't too deep, and you make sure your frog gets enough to eat, a community tank should be fine. Have fun..

How deep is too deep?

No, I had no idea the dwarfs and clawed shouldn't be together. They were together for several years. Seemed like most of the dwarfs died of natural causes, but that last one is a bit of a mystery...

I am thinking I will get two dwarfs for my new tank I want to go for the look of a large community with lots of little critters. I don't want any of my teeny weeny tetras to be in danger. I have a lot of time to think about this though since I haven't even finished building the canopy!

shayfish said:
How deep is too deep?

No, I had no idea the dwarfs and clawed shouldn't be together. They were together for several years. Seemed like most of the dwarfs died of natural causes, but that last one is a bit of a mystery...

natural causes... ahaha

i had kept several adfs in the past, and one day my mom 'rescued' and albino acf from wal-mart (no animal should be kept in those little cups, half of them die in there too).

i didnt know about acfs, then one day, i found my tiny tiny adf in the acf's mouth, the acf couldnt swallow him, just drowned him (the adf was dead when i got him out) then my full grown adf just one day died...

so after killing off my adfs, the albino stayed by himself before we rescued another acf. and "monster" has grown quite larger, but the new baby acf was too big to even fit its head in "Monster's" mouth.

baby did well, the one day i found him dead under "monster"

so big ones even kill their own if their big enough

there was someone who recently posted something about beginner pics, and had a big acf with an oscar

Wow. There was one adf who lived with 3 acfs for years! This one recently, um... disappeared but they had been living in harmony for 3 or 4 years. I, personally think the goldfish ate him after he was already dead, or dying but its purely speculation!

my LFS has these really tiny frogs, i am honestly not sure what they are but they dont seem to grow too large. I am paranoid to put anything new in to my community tank and i would rather not see my tetra population shrink :D

-Pleco

Back
Top Bottom