Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2004, 06:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Kerrinne Send a message via AIM to Kerrinne
Frozen Bloodworms

Well, after feeding nothing but the flakes and dried foods (you know the ones), I finally got brave enough to try something frozen. I bought some frozen bloodworms (my fish generally love bloodworms in general). And I just have to say...WOW! I thought they were all voracious eaters before. Freaking pigs. My Buenos Aires tetras were even diving to the bottom and picking up the ones that sank to the gravel. o.O I have a tank full of pigs...not fish!

https://www.freewebs.com/tarotlady/
Kerrinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a tank full of pigs...not fish!
Don't we all?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to LAGlocker Send a message via Yahoo to LAGlocker
The more you try of the frozen foods, the more you will notice how the fish react to them, with much more zest. I still feed mine feeze dried foods and flakes and other staple foods, but love to toss in some frozen foods just to watch them feed. Also I think the frozen foods are a little better for them than freeze dried, but thats my opinion.

Sold all tanks but
29 gal planted(lightly) tank now with 10 neons, 9 serpae tetras, 4 otos, 2 kribs and 3 gourami for the moment.
LAGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 07:13 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Frozen bloodworms are the favorite of every fish in my signature except the Red-tailed Rasboras. One of my favorite things to do is hold one of the frozen bloodworm 'gumdrops' in my fingers just at the surface of the tank. My Tiger Barbs practically go insane as they pull them from my hand...like a shoal of mini-piranhas!!!
Old 05-09-2004, 08:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Mine go crazy for the bloodworms too. I spoon mine in after letting them thaw and watch the fish go nuts. Almost makes me want some... Just kidding. My ahli will fill his mouth with them and then go to some secluded part of the tank. Then he'll spit out a ton of them and eat them in more managable bites.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Re: Frozen Bloodworms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrinne
WOW! I thought they were all voracious eaters before. Freaking pigs.
I also picked up some frozen Brine Shrimp but haven't tried it yet as I still in my cycle. Have you tried them? How did your fish react?
Old 05-11-2004, 11:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My fish seem bored with their usual flake food, algae wafers, and dried bloodworms. If I get frozen bloodworms and frozen BBS, how long will they last in the freezer? And how often should I feed them the frozen stuff vs. the dried stuff?
Old 05-12-2004, 01:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriam
My fish seem bored with their usual flake food, algae wafers, and dried bloodworms. If I get frozen bloodworms and frozen BBS, how long will they last in the freezer? And how often should I feed them the frozen stuff vs. the dried stuff?
I usually just pull out the frozen stuff once a week and the rest dried. I don't see any expiration date on the package so I would guess that you could keep it as long as you would keep any meats for human consumption in the freezer (colder is better and don't let the remainder warm up when you get some to feed the fish).
Old 05-12-2004, 04:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's funny...my black phantom tetras still don't go for the frozen bloodworms. The danios (my little pigs) love 'em, tho!

Everyone loved the frozen brineshrimp - however, I was told by several people here that frozen brineshrimp are like potato chips - yummy, but nutritionally empty. I recently got some Hikari vitamin-fortified freeze-dried brineshrimp - ALL my fish go beserk over them and I feel better knowing that they have some nutritional kick.

Tags
blood, bloodworms, frozen bloodworms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com