Frozen Krill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought some frozen krill cubes today and I feel like a dope LOL - the cube defrosted but it still stayed in a cube and for the life of me I couldn't stir it apart. I even tried breaking it up with my eyedropper which helped a little but mostly just made a few big chunks out of the cube. How do you feed this stuff ??

ps - the fish didn't go nuts for it - I really thought they would !

If it stays in a cube and doesn't come apart cleanly into obvious shrimp parts, it defrosted at some point and then was re-frozen. You don't know how long it was warm. I wouldn't feed it.

BTW, fishies like the brine shrimp better!

Did you add some of the tank water to it to help defrost it?

A little off topic, but I like the smell of freeze dried krill :)

I drop the frozen cube in a plastic cup of warm tank water. Usually it's all defrosted in 5 - 10 minutes. I stir it up with a plastic spoon that I use to feed.

My fish don't exactly go nuts over the krill either. They eat it, but not before they've eaten everything else.

BTW, I find those little beady eyes staring at me from the frozen cube quite unsettling. 8O

I placed it in tank water for about 5 minutes before attempting to break up the cube. I do the same thing with the cubes of bloodworms and mysis shrimp.

UGH - refrozen ! I bought two packages !! I'll try another cube this morning and if the same thing happens I'll bring them back, and hopefully they'll take them back (Petsmart is usually good about things like that - just have to see what I did with the receipt)

Back
Top Bottom