Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2005, 09:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fruit Fly Feeding media

I think about starting a fruit fly culture. The DYI media recipe is listing instant potatoes mixed with fruit pectin, corn flour, sugar, yeast and cider vinegar diluted with water 50/50. What if to use some fruit juice instead of water for additional vitamins and minerals content? Did anyone try that? Thanks for your opinion.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Nautilus....

It isn't necessary to add fruit juice to the mixture listed above. When I was teaching Molecular Biology (and Genetics) I always had dozens, if not hundreds, of fruit fly cultures so I do have a bit of experience with Drosophila One thing that you have to keep in mind, however, is that DIY media are susceptible to the growth of bacteria and occasionally mites so you should subculture your flies frequently (every two weeks or so). It might be easier, if you can find it, to purchase one of the commercially-available fruit fly media which generally come in dry form (simply add water) and are very easy to use. Carolina Biological Supply sells one called 4-24 which I had excellent results with.

Hope this helps a bit

-Joe

Old 04-15-2005, 07:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Doctor "Fruitbat",
Thanks a lot! Your reply definitely helps, and it was so prompt! I am going to see if I can find the commercial media in PETCO or our LFS. Is commercial one contains the nutrients and vitamins our fish need to receive in flies? And does it last longer than 2 weeks without replacing?
Old 04-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

All of the media will last more than two weeks but it is a good idea to subculture (to set up a new container with fresh media and transfer some of the flies to the new container) frequently. This ensures that you have a vital colony going at all times with plenty of fresh food for the developing larvae.

-Joe
Old 04-15-2005, 06:22 PM   #5
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Go with D. hydei ...they have some meat on them. And remember, wingless Drosophila remain that way for only a few generations...
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Second the 4-24. Not much easier.

Tags
feeding, fly, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com