Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fry tank *size/shape* question

I'm using a 20 long as a grow out tank right now(mainly Endlers, 6 or so BNs & a couple of Swords) but I'm in the process of rearranging tanks and was wondering if using reg 22g with a smaller footprint would impact growth in any way. It would certainly make the rearranging easier. I *can* leave it the way it is if thats best for them but moving them would make *me* happier

Old 04-02-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

As long as you can acclimate them properly, and the tank is cycled, I would see not too much of an issue. I kept new molly fry in a 3 gallon storage tote for 2 weeks while I set up a larger grow out tank. I have not raised BN before, but I know 20 gallons is much large enough for endlers, and good enough for swords. Will they be kept in this aquarium or is it just for temporary holding?

Old 04-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They live here til they're *hopefully* too big to be considered snacks
Old 04-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi earthmother,
I was told a long time ago and have since confirmed that in order to get strong fast growth from fry multiple water changes are necessary. I assume you have dozens of endlers and BN plecos?
I have an 83 litre / 22 gallon tall with female and endler fry my routine is two 45% water changes each week with the odd random 20% at odd times as I clean a filter.
It is a hormone that fry release that stops each other growing.

Short answer.
As long as you do the work the fry will grow up healthy.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They get ~50% weekly because of they're currently located on ghe bottom level of a stand so getting decent aipgonjbg past a certain point is a PIA. If I move them they go up a level so water changes will *probably* become more frequent

Tags
fry, question, size, tan, tank, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com