Fun Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clown fish? Every kid loves nemo :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is a work in progress @ this point.
I don't know how to upload. Perhaps, by the time it is finished, someone can teach me.
Thanks for your interest, Gilbert. :)

It is a work in progress @ this point.
I don't know how to upload. Perhaps, by the time it is finished, someone will teach me.
Thanks for your interest, Gilbert. :)

I had a Jack Dempsey pair in a 50 gallon tank. The female laid eggs & they both kept cleaning them till a sneaky angel ate them.

I would not suggest the Silver Dollars as they are skittish and kids will get excited and charge the tank. I am also against tiger barbs as you dont want fin nippers because kids will name and get attached to fish and they will ask why is Bob attacking Henry.... Mbunas really upset them lol.

I would go for Parrot fish or Gold fish. They are big, colorful, hardy, aren't going to attack each other, and IME kids relate to bigger fish like they are real pets they have no interest in my smaller fish.

I keep tanks with a 5, 3, 2 year olds. They love my Goldfish, Parrot, and Red Spotted Severums. Oh and they love plecos for some reason. They could careless about any of my other fish.

They also like my black ghost knife because I made up a game to teach them about sonar. They call it the blind fish game.

Thanks so much. Excellent advice !
You sure know kids ! :)
Do you have a preference over parrot fish & goldfish ?

Thanks so much. Excellent advice !
You sure know kids ! :)
Do you have a preference over parrot fish & goldfish ?

My kids are my life :)

I would do gold fish, there are so many different types and colors. Parrots can be temperamental at times. Goldfish are hardy and beautiful. My kids tank has become one of my favorites I have a 40 breeder with 3 and my kids named them all 1 black moore (named pufferfish), 1 orange fantail (named Rockin Baby), and 1 gold and black fantail (named Ninja Turtle).

So Cute !
I can tell you love kids & I am sure they love you.
I think I am going to go with goldfish in my 50 gallon tank.
2 fancies
1 bristlenose pleco

You might want the fancies to breed lol ;3 the kids might like the fry

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

But you might need different tank for them.

Gilbert

I was a teacher for many years, and I know young children love the fish that have babies. I'd go with live bearers.

Yup! They are cool! I have lots of platies, mollies, and guppies, they can get many babies! But sad if they don't get seperated the fries will be eaten sometimes.

Gilbert

I too was a teacher for 30 years. For sure live bearers where a great attraction. Not so much when Mom & Dad started eating them.
Guppies ??????? Never again.!!!!! I started with a few & in no time had 100's of them. After awhile there is so much inbreeding that they get distorted & they are not healthy.

I say none of the above. Goldfish get boring fast, lack of intelligence IMO, parrots are kind of ehh to me.... how about some boesemani rainbows? They get large, colorful, active swimmers..

If no then I suggest my good ole standby of 12 neons (or cardinals)and a dwarf or honey gourami, even full size gouramis would fit your tank and be a sure favorite with the grandkids.

I would suggest some little tetras or danios some shrimp and one or 2 dwarf African frogs because all kids love frogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Turtles stink. I would only recommend land turtles because water turtles need a pond to live happily when there full grown and they have a horrible Oder. Also carry ecoli and salmonella fish and land turtles do to but kids won't try handling fish and they won't be touching the slime from all the feces on a water turtle. I'm just saying this from experience I used to have a red eared slider when I was growing up and when it got big I realized it was a nasty animal to keep in a aquarium. It stunk and it was slimy. They are an animal that should be kept in the wild or a large pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom