Funky lookin clown loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curbyzcul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right yesterday my cousin bought me 2 clown loach (to replace the 2 rams that died- the shop exchanged them), so he brought them round, and I wasn't in (but my parents were), so they were floated etc and they are fine. But they are really odd becasue one of them has a big brown spot on either side of it (in between its 2nd and 3rd stripes), and the other one is completely normal except the 2nd band is really thick at the bottom, and on the other side the band finished 1/2 way down the fish, and instead of coming to a point, is finishes with a curve. Has anyone else seen clown loach like these? Are they normal? Or are they "special" clown loach : ) !! lol. Thanx

I've had a few clown loaches for a while, and one of them has a brown or black round spot showing on each side (in the same place). I don't think it had the spot when I bought it, since I can't imagine I wouldn't have noticed. But I haven't been able to find any information on the spot.

Ok sorry I didnt get back sooner- I was at school all day and hence can't post, and got home to find them all missing (my clown loach). Well 3 out of 4. OK I thought, they are sleepin in the mangrove root. So there I was being nosy and right at the top I saw a tail sticking out. Cute I thought. I looked closer (was trying to get a photo) to realise it was 100% stuck. There was NO way it was getting out. So being me, I panicked. So i turned the root upside down, and the other 2 happily swam out. To my horror, I realise it is Wonky who is stuck in the root. So i tried gently holding his tail and pullin (there was no other way. He was not moving. I was nearly crying at this point not knowing how long he has been stuck like that. I knew he was alive cos his tail flapped occasionally.
Cue the hacksaw.
I cut off part of the root very carefully to avoid cutting his tail. Because of the awkward shape of the saw, I had to snap the rest of the root off. Still stuck.
So I figure where his head is, and cut below it, and again, awkward shape whilst trying to retain water in the root for the lil' fella, could only go 1/2 way, and had to snap the rest open. Plop, fish on floor, o dear cut thumb, grab fish, throw in tank, whack meds in, attend to thumb. He is now swimming around happily. Mangrove root in 3 pieces- thinking of binning it but equally thinking of filing to to smooth off some edges then putting back in: any comments?
Do you think he will survive?
Attatch are the pics of the little bggers. Spot is hidden under the log, and Wonky is the 1 with the 2 loach (it was taken with a mirror behind him). Thanx guys.

Quite normal. Well, not normal, but not rare or indication of a problem. I have one that has a slightly lighter than strips spot as well. I've noticed all clown loaches appear to be nearly perfectly symetrical in their pattern, and the spot is in the same spot on both sides.

I don't have the link, But I've seen one that had 3 spots and only one strip around its head, very thin. All of the spots were nice and dark too. Consider yourself lucky, you've got a non-conformist loach! :p

Back
Top Bottom