Furry problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cococalm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I am hoping someone out there would be able to help me out with a little problem I am presently experiencing in a newly set up FW Aquarium. I have placed 2 wood structures in the aquarium - these are stalks from old uprooted Grape Vines. When I got them, I stripped them of their bark, rubbed them down ans dried them for near 4 years. I then washed them thoroughly and then boiled water bathed them for 20 minutes. After a week in the aquarium, I noticed a "growth" off these stalks and would like to know if there is anything I can do to get rid of this. I eventually want to cover these stalks with "Riccia Fluitans" once I get a CO2 system. Right now they are simply unsightly. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a few pics to show what I mean.

Attachments

• PICT7994.jpg
    PICT7994.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 68
  • PICT7993.jpg
    PICT7993.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 56
I've always been told that grape wood was not a good idea in an aquarium, apparently it rots and fouls up the water. I may be assuming that grape wood is a grape vine though?

That white stuff is normal for many kinds of drift wood. It will eventually go away or you can manually remove it by cleaning the wood daily until it stops forming. Some fish will also peck at it.

Grape vine is not a "bad" wood, but it does tend to rot quicker than hard woods like mopani.

That looks like grape wood and yes it will rot a lot faster. That white fungus happens on a lot of woods however and it will go away on its own.

is there some kind of "safe" fungicide I can use if it is a fungus ? - I do have 6 fish - 5 tetras and one corydoras.

Last edited:
I've seen that on all driftwood and also "bowl rock" that I've put into my tank. It goes away after a couple of weeks. I think it's some kind of fungus that grows on either the decaying lichen on the rock or maybe the outer layer of wood. Either way, I've had it in 3 or 4 tanks, fish tend to eat it, no problems with it. Just let nature take its course instead of putting more chemicals in your tank. Nothing good happens fast in aquaria!

Back
Top Bottom