fussy betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
I,ve had my betta for 11months, he's started too become really fussy with his food, he gets betta flake in the morning & night then some nights I vary frozen bait & occasional live bloodworm when my elephant nose leaves some lol then a Sunday a pea. Now he won't eat his flake he,ll eat everything else but that. Would it harm him if I feed him frozen bait daily? I was concerned it would bloat him. Any advice would be great. Thanks :)

Will he eat the pellets? One of mine gets an attitude on flake night too;) they get spoiled I think;)

hcourts said:
Will he eat the pellets? One of mine gets an attitude on flake night too;) they get spoiled I think;)

Haven't tried pellets, which one do you use? He's always been on flake. He's like a huffy kid he,ll go to the back off the tank & stay there lol

I,ve had my betta for 11months, he's started too become really fussy with his food, he gets betta flake in the morning & night then some nights I vary frozen bait & occasional live bloodworm when my elephant nose leaves some lol then a Sunday a pea. Now he won't eat his flake he,ll eat everything else but that. Would it harm him if I feed him frozen bait daily? I was concerned it would bloat him. Any advice would be great. Thanks :)

I've heard, but have not had experience with it, that Bettas a lot of times won't eat the flakes. I feed mine the Top Fin Betta Bits 4 days out of the week, fasting one day, frozen blood worms on one & frozen brine shrimp on the last day and so far they eat EVERYTHING like they're starving. I may be wrong but my understanding is that the frozen bait doesn't meet all of their nutritional needs which is why it's only to be fed on occasion. Personally, I would try a pellet. All of mine will eat as many pellets as I drop but I limit them to 4 at the most. I like the pellets because I drop one see who eats it then drop another in front of who hasn't had one yet (works most of the time, but sometimes there's a bully :blink:) I can control & monitor their eating & there's no waste because each pellet gets snatched up. I also have Wardley Pellets & nobody will touch those but the Top Fin they gobble them up. I have 6 Bettas; 4 female & 2 males.

shellieca said:
I've heard, but have not had experience with it, that Bettas a lot of times won't eat the flakes. I feed mine the Top Fin Betta Bits 4 days out of the week, fasting one day, frozen blood worms on one & frozen brine shrimp on the last day and so far they eat EVERYTHING like they're starving. I may be wrong but my understanding is that the frozen bait doesn't meet all of their nutritional needs which is why it's only to be fed on occasion. Personally, I would try a pellet. All of mine will eat as many pellets as I drop but I limit them to 4 at the most. I like the pellets because I drop one see who eats it then drop another in front of who hasn't had one yet (works most of the time, but sometimes there's a bully :blink:) I can control & monitor their eating & there's no waste because each pellet gets snatched up. I also have Wardley Pellets & nobody will touch those but the Top Fin they gobble them up. I have 6 Bettas; 4 female & 2 males.

Thanks I,ll give them a go, do you feed them once a day? :)

Oh, be careful about whichever pellet you choose as some of them when wet will swell so you don't want to feed them too many because it could cause problems. Some people will soak the pellets for a few minutes before feeding so they're already swollen before the fish eat them. And read the lable to see if they're sinking pellets or not, the ones I feed don't sink which makes taking the very rarely missed pellets out.

Sorry, if you already know this, just wasn't sure so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Back
Top Bottom