fuzzy stuff on my driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supafreak

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi everyone. I have a tank i just set up last week, with established water, and filter sponge. The readings are all prime (mitrate, amonia etc.) today i noticed that my driftwood has fuzzy stuff growing on it that looks like cotton (fungus?) i'd like to leave the drift wood in there, but i'm concerned of it spreading, or worse, hurting my fish. The tank was empty of fish untill today, when i brought my baby calvus home from a tank at my moms. What do you guys thing? can you battle the mold, or fungus, or is it best to get rid of the drift wood? is there any chance it's alge? it is a light color, and really looks fluffy.

I have the cotton stuff growing on my bogwood as well in my 15g tank. I had a gourami and two rasboras in there for a few days and it hasn't really harmed them. My water seems fine, though the bogwood has discoloured my water to a tea brown so I can't really tell if it makes the water cloudy. My gourami even tried to eat the cotton stuff but always spat it out. She helped clean off some of that stuff. Usually I just try to scrape and siphon that it off my wood.

Back
Top Bottom