FW Crab setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kim Kipper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have maintained FW planted 180L for several years. Am interested in keeping some FW crabs in my old 100L. Crabs only as I don't fancy watching any fish being caught and eaten. Can anybody help with the following please:

1) I plan to have a land area for them to rest. No sure if need 50% land and water, best means for them to climb out etc Any good designs ?

2) I have a spare Fluval 4 Plus internal. Could use this on it's side and have a spray bar ? Or take the plunge and get an external ? External has been so much better for my main tank (Eheim 2026 Pro II).

3) Are crabs capable of damaging heater and filter wires ? If so, how to protect ?

4) Recommended species ?

5) Is there any other creature that can be kept with crabs

6) I read that they are just as sensitive as fish and so full cycling of new tank and filter is required (that's not a question, just assuring you that I care !).

7) I have plenty of crushed shell which I use to buffer PH in main tank by keeping in filter. Works very well. Is this sufficient to stop leaching of calcium and provide those minerals required for the crabs ?

8) Have been looking for a good website in the subject. Can't find anything yet. Any recommendations ?

Many thanks in advance !

Answers in Blue to the ones i had answers for :)

1) I plan to have a land area for them to rest. No sure if need 50% land and water, best means for them to climb out etc Any good designs ? Most crabs would like some above water space if you can provide it. Make sure that the top is sealed, they are escape artists.

2) I have a spare Fluval 4 Plus internal. Could use this on it's side and have a spray bar ? Or take the plunge and get an external ? External has been so much better for my main tank (Eheim 2026 Pro II). This is more personal preference, i think the Fluval 4 should be ok though.

3) Are crabs capable of damaging heater and filter wires ? If so, how to protect ? Crabs are capable of destroying anything they see fit, ive heard of them even shredding plastic decor. Try to hide things that can be hidden like tubing under substrate etc. I havent seen a crab/crayfish attack tubes or filters yet, not saying they can't.

4) Recommended species ? Depends on the size you want, there are some pretty neat mini species.

5) Is there any other creature that can be kept with crabs? Other inhabitants with crabs/crayfish are commonly know as "food" or the ever so popular "soon to be lunch".

8) Have been looking for a good website in the subject. Can't find anything yet. Any recommendations ? http://www.shrimpcrabsandcrayfish.co.uk/Shrimp.htm?Crabs.htm~mainFrame
Do a google search for freshwater crabs care or something along those lines :)

-Pleco

I wonder if you could protect wires by sleeving them in some airline tubing... obviously they could damage the airline tubing, but it would be replaceable, might be more attractive than PVC (or maybe not?).... just some thoughts. :) Crabs are cute, sounds like a fun project!

Whatever you get make sure it is completely freshwater...if there is such a thing. Get any information from more than one source to confirm. Most crabs in pet store and fish shops are fiddler/red claw which are brackish although may be kept in fresh.

Back
Top Bottom