FW eels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
After a few recent trips to my LFS I have fallen for a green wolf eel. As this is an SW breed I don't think he would be too happy in my FW tanks! I was wondering if there are any FW eels that could live ina 55gal semi-aggressive community tank? Right now i have long finned danios a BN pleco and tiger barbs in the tank (along with a stupid case of Ick from moving a new fish in to quickly so nothing will be happening for a loooooong time anyway.

I have kuhli loaches. They look like eels, but are peaceful. Since they are bottom dwellers, I think they would be ok in your set-up.

Remind me of the dimensions of a 55 gallon. Some peacock eels reach about 12 inches. They max out at 14 inches, but most stay under that. However, there are a couple species thaht are bigger, like the 1 stripe peacock eel that reaches 25 inches. If you go this route, be super careful about getting the right species so you dont end up with a monster.

None of those fish are true eels, they're compressed, elongated fish. I don't think there are any true eels to be had in the FW hobby that don't get huge or are very easily obtained. But that said in a 55 long you could possibly get one of the spiny "eel" species

None of those fish are true eels, they're compressed, elongated fish. I don't think there are any true eels to be had in the FW hobby that don't get huge or are very easily obtained. But that said in a 55 long you could possibly get one of the spiny "eel" species
Thats a good point. They are not true eels.

Back
Top Bottom