FW Lobsters...Look cool, anyone have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a red lobster. She gets along fine with my fish, the tiger barbs and the pleco are too quick to be caught (if she was to try to catch them), the parrots have too much of an attitude, they kinda keep each other in check. My Ruby loves algae wafers. Ruby has her own plastic half a log that's her home/hide hole, she does come out and walk about the tank occasionally. If you have slow fish I wouldn't suggest a lobster of any kind, I guess lobsters sometimes get the munchies, if they can catch a fish they will eat it. I don't knwo whatelse you may want to know. Feel free to ask.

P.S. if you do get one they like dog kibble too. I have finally trained my lobster to take food, directed to her, right from my tongs (a little scared to give it to her by hand, she might try to ake a bite).

Slow fish aren't the only problem. Crayfish will also catch fish at night while they are sleeping. For that reason the folks here recommended that my blue crayfish be kept alone when I got it. Also, the tables can turn for a crayfish when it molts, and it can be eaten by fish. 8O If you have the means to keep a FW "lobster" by itself, they are really cool pets.

I inherited my daughter's blue crayfish. She keeps it in a 5 gal with a bunch of minows. The minows keep breading so I don't know how many become crayfish food at night...

Honestly, I don't want to know. All this nature stuff is great but I don't need to see it! :roll:

what I was planning to do , if I got these lobsters, was to put them mainly by themselves with probably guppies (to provide lots of snacks :lol: )

I had two, but unfortunately, they both died during a molt. They are really fun animals and I definitely plan to get them again. They prefer room temp water with lots of aeration, so a bubble wand should be used and a heater should not. You can keep one blue in a 5 gal; two in a 10 gal. Larger species like the red crays should be kept one to a 10 gal. Don't mix species because they will fight to the death.

I plan to buy my next cray from Bob's Crayfish
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/market.html
His prices are about 1/3 of what I would pay in my lfs.

Dog kibble, huh? I don't have a dog, so I never tried it, but I'm not surprised the crays loved the stuff. They will eat ANYTHING that they encounter on the tank bottom - including tankmates! I've heard some horror stories about crays eating sleeping fish at night, or just getting lucky and spearing a passing fish during the day. For this reason, it is advisable to keep crays in a species only tank.

Actually if I had the space I would probably get a seperate tank for it.....but at least not right now.

Still wondering if anyone has had these specific lobsters.

I received 28 Australian Red Claw today in hopes of breeding and raising. They are really cool. You can read alot about crays and freshwater lobster at;

Canadiancrayfish Forum

May need to copy and paste that into your browser since this site figures ca as an abbreviation.

Thanks that is a pretty good website for crayfish. They also have nice pics.
Good luck with the breeding and how big is the tank(s) your gonna keep them in?

I'm erecting a 20' x 36' greenhouse to house two 12 ft. diameter pools for the main grow out tanks. Effluent will pump directly into gravel grow beds for plants and recirculate back to the tanks. This is along the lines of S&S Aquafarm's bioponic's or some call it aquaponics. We'll get algae on top of the gravel and nitrofying bacteria within the gravel. The growbeds being extended lighting at night will keep the algae producing oxygen much like the algal scrubbers. Underneath the gravel beds will hopefully be raceways to add more lobster grow out or nursery for fry. Right now, my new residents are doing fine in a couple of tanks in my spare room till the greenhouse is complete.

Thank you Menagerie :D . Did that take special advisor stuff or can I do that? All lobsters are still alive and well today and that's a good thing. :mrgreen:

CrawChuck said:
Thank you Menagerie :D . Did that take special advisor stuff or can I do that? All lobsters are still alive and well today and that's a good thing. :mrgreen:

If you can edit your post, you can go back and see what she did. It takes "special advisor stuff" to do it to other posts, but you ought to be able to do it to your own.

QTOFFER, sorry to hear about your crays - that's what happened to me - but I will definitely keep them again. They are very cool and such an interesting creature to watch.

Thanks Tank Girl. HTML is not part of my vocabulary though :lol: . Sorry ya'll lost your crays moulting. They do that sometimes since it is very stressful on them. It's good to have a somewhat larger hide in the tank than a just-fit like they normally like to hide in. Takes a little extra room to moult. I'm loving my baby lobsters :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom