FW Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xIHaKIx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im considering buying those puffer fish from my LFS any tips on em, what do they need to live, what do they eat, water temp?...etc. etc. I want those and guppies for my next hex tank for my desk is that a good idea?...and a algea eater or 2.

Are they Dwarf Puffers, or maybe you could ID it on THIS page.

If they are dwarf puffers, only put them with guppies if you wanna see some predatory action. I think some algae eaters (siamenses) might be big enough to do okay.

Dwarf puffers will typically nip anything to death, even something larger than themselves. Some will tolerate otocinclus, but not always. And not much else.

I had dwarf puffer on my 10 gal and it was fine with other semi-aggressive fishes (red tail shark) and neon tetras (fast fish). But they nipped the cories.

Here is a better link for puffer ID: www.pufferlist.com. No puffers w/long-finned fish! they best kept in species only tanks. Many puffers are sold as FW, when they are really BW puffers.

So guppies and puffers wont work? Is there any type of puffer that dosent nibb on the other fish, the one I think I seen at the LFS was in a tank with other fish and they all looked ok, so Im gonna look into the name or w.e and post it, I really like how the two will look in a tank.

Puffers are notorious nippers, regardless of the species. They're pretty much limited to species only, and a few will tolerate otos. Don't risk it.

one I think I seen at the LFS was in a tank with other fish and they all looked ok

The reason things look ok is usually attributable to the fact that the fish are in those tanks for a very short amount of time and dead ones are removed promptly. LFS's as a general rule, just put fish in tanks that have space. They know they will be sold quickly enough where it isnt an issue. Never take what you see there, as the proper means of doing things.

Also, in the short time they are in those "holding" tanks, territories have yet to be established. Just wait till you get that cute puffer home & it gets nice & comfortable in your tank--then whamo!

So I want guppies and some other cool fish to go w. them any ideas or suggestions, pictures would be great. Im not great w. names

You don't get it--no guppies w/any kind of puffer! Keep them alone! Many puffers can't even be with another puffer of the same species.

I said ok, cause puffer mess with other fish so I said what fish should I get with guppies that look cool.

xIHaKIx said:
So I want guppies and some other cool fish to go w. them any ideas or suggestions, pictures would be great. Im not great w. names
You could have been a little more clear in this post.

wow, sorry you are running into to some snippiness here, I think you worded your post fine.

In with my guppies I have a couple balloon mallies and they are all getting along really well. They add a nice spark of color to the tank as well.

I would agree with everyone on the puffers, I just bought a second one last week (they are in my large tank) and the original one I had beat the new one to death :( they can be really nasty. If I think of any other good guppie companions I'll let you know. But so far mollies seem to be a good one :)

These them?

balloon_molly_3933.jpg

And to help out Im gonna get a hex tank for my desk corner. I dought its gonna be big, maybe 20gallons...Do they make 10 gallon hex?

Back
Top Bottom