Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Gah, i think some window cleaner got in my tank

Mom mom was cleaning the tv screen (which is next to the tank), and while doing so i think she got some into my aquarium's water. I know because there were some window cleaner spray ontop my filter. My tank is a brand new setup, and is still cycling. Am i going to have to redo this tank or is this not a problem.

Thanks

Old 04-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would check the ammonia levels, and if needed, do a partial water change. Remember that ammonia hides mostly in the gravel, so siphon the gravel to reduce the ammonia.

see if the cleaner sontains ammonia

Old 04-02-2005, 11:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would do a large if not total waterchange to be safe and restart your cycle.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggsmarinetank
I would check the ammonia levels, and if needed, do a partial water change. Remember that ammonia hides mostly in the gravel, so siphon the gravel to reduce the ammonia.

see if the cleaner sontains ammonia
NH3 (ammonia) doesn't hide in the substrate (gravel) or anywhere else for that matter,
it is diffused into the water column upon production.
NH3 is primarily produced by fishes body waste and respiration, and the decomposition of organic matter within the tank. Most of the waste organic matter in a tank ends up in/on the substrate and decays there generating NH3, hence the need to vacumn the substrate in order to remove these NH3 producing waste.

To add my $0.02 to the original question...
I would do a total water change, add a max dose of dechlor, preferably a brand that also binds NH3 into a non-toxic form and add a generous amount of carbon to your filtration for a week, you'll probably recycle but "Better safe than sorry."

Step by step...
Max dose the entire tank with dechlor/NH3 remover.
Now siphon out as much water as possible, add just enough water to cover substrate and dose with more dechlor/NH3 remover, stir gravel thoroughly and then top off the tank, now add carbon to filters to remove any leftover chemicals.
That is what I would do.

ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks all for the replies. Just when i was getting excited to add plants this weekend i have to start over. Oh well.

M.N
Old 04-03-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You may not have to, there may be a little ammonia and it could be broken down by then

https://fishyaddictsrus.proboards21.c...539643&start=0
ctfish guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
you can add plants to your tank to help cycle it better, i have done it in the past and the plants have always thrived

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ammonia is not really what you have to worry about in cleaners, since ammonia is naturally produced by fish and will be taken care of by the bacteria in your tank. It is detergents and other chemicals that can be a probelm.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i agree with roger, large water change, lots of dechlor and carbon in filter. You could probably even do some smaller changes for the 2 days following asweel just to be sure, Then you could add some plants..

Mazdaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, cleaner, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com