Galaxy Rasbora (CPD) compatibility...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Everybody!
I have a question regarding Celestial Pearl Danios (Galaxy Rasboras), what is their compatibility? I have 3 mollies (1 of them is a large fry), 3 longfin zebra danio, and one guppy (long story...) Do they really need a heavily planted tank? I have a 50 gallon, that is lightly planted. (plants are babies right now)

Another question I have is, what is my molly doing? I have researched and determined it has Livebearer Disease (Molly Disease). It wiggles side to side, and becoming very week. But he also has bumps on his head/face...What's happening to him? Should I treat the tank? If so what do I use? :confused:
Thanks!
:thanks:

CPD need a planted tank if you want them to display their best colors and breed

Otherwise they are very shy and you wont be seeing much of them

Just get some jova moss to float at the top and maybe some amazon sword

they need big leafy plants as hiding spaces, multiple amazon swords would be great for them. some sort of driftwood with lots of holes in it so that the rasbora can dart between the holes would serve them great as well.

Hi,
BLUElobster99 and huizhung1988, should I just wait for my plants to grow? I suppose I didn't clarify myself very well. I have 7 amazon swords, 4 wysteria, one small piece of wood with Christmas Moss, one 3 by 5 mat of Glossotigma, 20 tall narrow-leaf sagittaria, 4 tiger lotus red bulbs, a couple dwarf hair grass, and 1 REALLY tall bamboo. Most of the plants are fairly small, except the wysteria, bamboo, and the sagittaria are about 6 in. As for the driftwood I was planning on going to a nearby stream/river to get some. By the way, my tank is a hexagon.

Also do the CPD's like somewhat of a current? I have a spray bar and makes a little current.

Here's some picks of my sick molly...

Attachments

• DSC09814.jpg
    DSC09814.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC09816.jpg
    DSC09816.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 188
do you mind posting a picture of the tank with all the plants in it as well? that way i can look into the spacial arrangement of things and see what's best for the rasboras. a little current from the bubbler wouldn't hurt, but rasboras don't need current to survive

I will take some pics right now....By the way, if you see a orange molly laying on the floor of the tank, thats my sick molly....

Hi again, do you know anything about the bumps on my molly?
Here are some pics of my tank... :fish2:

Attachments

• DSCN0853.jpg
    DSCN0853.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCN0854.jpg
    DSCN0854.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCN0855.jpg
    DSCN0855.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCN0859.jpg
    DSCN0859.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 212
Hi again, do you know anything about the bumps on my molly?
Here are some pics of my tank... :fish2:

Here's what my experience is telling me: you have to wait until the plants are little bigger. i would suggest you buy some root tabs for your amazon swords because they're root feeders and growth very nicely and big if you give them these supplements. the lotus will need them too. wisteria is good for the background but there seems to be not enough of them. i would hold the fish for a little while until the plants are growing. furthermore, you will need some time to obtain a piece of driftwood and properly cure it. so i would wait for minimally one month.

also without co2, i doubt some of your plants will survive in the long term.

the molly looks like having some sort of infection, bacterial would be my bet. see if the lumps are soft, if so i would take it out and put it in a QT tank to treat it

Thanks so much for your advice, I will definitely get some root tabs. I will also get some more wysteria. Should the plants be LARGE enough to provide A LOT of shelter or just BIGGER?

About the co2, where exactly would you get a co2 injection? Would I have to make one myself?

Thanks so much for your advice, I will definitely get some root tabs. I will also get some more wysteria. Should the plants be LARGE enough to provide A LOT of shelter or just BIGGER?

About the co2, where exactly would you get a co2 injection? Would I have to make one myself?

the bigger the plant, the more shelter it will provide and the less stressful your fish will be.

co2 is a very complicated subject. i suggest you google CO2 injection in aquarium and do some reading ahead of time. you can do CO2 yourself or purchase the needed equipments depending on the budget.

Sadly, I don't have a QT tank...Should I just use a bowl? (I know, it wouldn't be cycled..I do have a bottle of bacteria but I still don't know...) But I don't have extra filter and heater....Should I treat the WHOLE tank? I've heard that that can hurt the fish that aren't sick....

As far as co2 goes, I will study up on it. Thanks.

if that's the case, then treat the entire fish tank. yes, certain fish will not tolerate certain treatment. so you really have to read the label on the medication and dose it accordingly.

What do you think about using Flourish Excel, instead of using CO2 injection?

Also, I'm treating the tank, and I hope that he'll pull through!!

Thank you SOOOO much, it really helped!
:thanks:

Hi,
BLUElobster99 and huizhung1988, should I just wait for my plants to grow? I suppose I didn't clarify myself very well. I have 7 amazon swords, 4 wysteria, one small piece of wood with Christmas Moss, one 3 by 5 mat of Glossotigma, 20 tall narrow-leaf sagittaria, 4 tiger lotus red bulbs, a couple dwarf hair grass, and 1 REALLY tall bamboo. Most of the plants are fairly small, except the wysteria, bamboo, and the sagittaria are about 6 in. As for the driftwood I was planning on going to a nearby stream/river to get some. By the way, my tank is a hexagon.

Also do the CPD's like somewhat of a current? I have a spray bar and makes a little current.

Here's some picks of my sick molly...

Hi, i just wanted to let you know that if you're bamboo is fully submerged it will start to rot. It's not a true aquatic plant.

i'm ambivalent about flourish excel because i've read reports where the shrimps are deformed with continual exposure to excel while poses no danger to the fish.

yes, your bamboo needs air.

Hi, i just wanted to let you know that if you're bamboo is fully submerged it will start to rot. It's not a true aquatic plant.
Yes, of course! It is clearly NOT fully in the water and has just been growing and growing! I'm extremely happy with it! Let it be in just about 5 in. of water until it grew tall enough to go into my hex, so it wouldn't rot Thanks!

i'm ambivalent about flourish excel because i've read reports where the shrimps are deformed with continual exposure to excel while poses no danger to the fish.

yes, your bamboo needs air.

Is that only shrimp? I'm not really a fan of shrimp....I want to get some panda corys, in the future when my tank is HEAVILY planted, I want some smaller fish..

Back
Top Bottom