garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what are the benefits of garlic? and is garlic powder usable or does it have to be fresh garlic?

I'm actually looking into this right now for one of my fish... apparently, garlic extract is an appetite stimulant, and supposed to be a general health booster. Its totally homeopathic, but I happen to believe that there are some good things to be found in homeopathic medicine.

It can be used by soaking food in it, or if the fish is just not eating, can be dripped in the tank.

There are a number of brands of the stuff out there, my LFS has Kent "Garlic Extreme"... thats what I'll be picking up tomorrow to try... seems that some brands also have a lot of vitamins in it... I would be interested in giving that a try if I had fast access to it.

From another forum, someone suggested just crushing garlic yourself and straining the extract through muslin... but i dont have the measurements of how much is safe to use at a time. Also, they mentioned to *not* use the jarred garlic as it has preservatives and other chemicals... I would think that would extend to powdered garlic too.

Hope this helps!

It pertains just the same just as it does in terrestrial animals including us humans (assuming we are all human :p )

Excellent article Melosu. I guess with all homeopathic regimens, Caveat Empateur.

I liked the fact that the article did not wholly dismiss the use of garlic, but was instead using a healthy dose of scientific skepticism. I would be interested in seeing further research into its claimed uses.

Not to hijack the thread though, but what other options do we have when dealing with a severely suppressed appetite in freshwater fish? I was going to use garlic on a fish of mine that will only eat a couple frozen brine once every 3 or 4 days.

I heard that fresh garlic stuff is the best.

Thats the whole point. If we apply the scientific skepticism the article suggests, then we cannot assume that garlic works due to anecdotal evidence. I'm wondering if there are any more proven alternatives.

I had an article that I used to have a link to that basically stated they were not completely sure that it acted as an appetite stimulant but when they fed it to fish that were infected with parasites/disease, once cured of the parasites/disease, when re-introduced to the parasites/disease, they were much more immune to the effects. I wish I still had that article, but my PC crashed and I had to build a new one and lost the link.

Back
Top Bottom