Gbr acting odd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my GBR'S was acting funny when I got home today. He was vertical at the top of my tank just being lazy, so I did a 25% water change. My ph is 7.2, nitrite and ammonia are 0 and my nitrates are 5. And yes I shook the poop out of the bottles. Any ideas? It is now hiding behind some plants laying or hovering just above the bottom. It shows no sign of stress or injury

Have you seen any nipping from the tetras at all?

I please ask you, if this is the API Kit, and the nitrates is reading 5 ppm, to bang the nitrate bottle on a countertop for a good thirty seconds and then repeat again. It really needs to be stirred up to get some good readings, sometimes if you don't you'll get false readings.

It doesn't show any physical injuries from nipping. Right now it seems he's breathing heavy and laying o the bottom. Wonder if he's constipated or what not. Or has bloat. He is the only fish acting like this. I'm gonna see how he is when I get home from work. If he's still being funny I'll transfer him to my 10 gallon and quarantine him. If all fails back to the lfs he will go and I'll get reimbursed since it's only been 2 weeks

Unfortunately I came home to find the poor little one dead. So I called my lfs, they asked for my parameters and said they were perfect so I can bring him in along with the other one who is still alive and exchange them for a new pair of male and female. Hopefully the next pair fair better. I'll post pics when I get them situated

From what I've heard GBR are fairly sensitive. Which is why I got a Bolivian instead. Looks almost the same and is a lot less sensitive.

Back
Top Bottom