GBR breeding? Tips? Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking about breeding german blue rams. I was wondering if you guys have experience you could share? I have a 30g long something like 36x13x16x. The 30g has a sand bottom, pieces of drift wood, rocks, live plants, and a couple realistic but fake plants. The rams will be going into this tank alone so filtration and space is plentiful. I'm probably going to order off of yunite, has any on here successfully raised GBR fry? Any advice or tips would be great.

I've never bred them but from what I've heard, first time parents may eat their eggs.

Yes, first time parents will usually eat their first few spawns. Not always, but it happens more times than not.

When you want to condition them for spawning, start feeding frozen, not freeze dried, brine shrimp and blood worms. Do small water changes every 3 days, make sure that the refill water is cooler than the tank water. This simulates the rainy seasons and gets them in the mood. This along with the brine shrimp/blood worms gets my group going every time.

For raising the fry: frozen baby brine shrimp, frozen daphnia, Hikari first bites. have a grow out tank ready for them with an already cycled filter. Don't use any substrate, makes it harder to keep clean since you have to feed the fry 4 times a day at least. Keep water changing water available at all times. Do not use water directly from the tap. The fry are very sensitive to changes. You will need to change their grow out tank water often. You will have deaths, pluck them out right away.

Yunite has awesome rams. You will be happy with them.

How many pairs did you put in one tank or did they all get their own? I wanted to put 2 pairs in the 30g long but I was told more than a pair is asking for trouble.

I have 4 pairs in my 40 breeder.

If you have it heavily planted, with line of sight breaks so they can have their own territory, you won't have a problem.

Each of my pairs has their own quadrant of the tank. The most aggression I have is at feeding time if everyone goes after the same piece of food.

Okay, I'm going to order a pair from yunite. I'm also going to try and form my own pair by buying a male and female from my LFS and letting them pair in my pretty much empty 55g and then I'll move them to the 30g.

Back
Top Bottom