gbr compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1998golfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to get some rams, my lfs has electric blues for $20. I have a dwarf gourami, 6 albino corys, 6 serpae tetras, 3 black kuhli loaches, and an albino bn pleco.

27 gallon cube. Fluval c3 and sunsun 304A filters.

Would one or two be compatible? Thanks!

Electric blues tend to be more agressive than German blue rams (gbr) I would go with a pair if gbrs. I have a pair in my community 29 gallon tank and they get along with my other fish just fine. I have corys, black neon tetras, neon tetras, and dwarf gouramis. Like I said, they all get along fine.

Also, the gbrs are more colorful than the electric blue rams IMO :)

Yeah ok. I hope I can find some gbrs locally. So a pair as in a male and female fish? Or does it not matter or are they not sexed at the stores

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a male and female. I am not sure, but I believe two females would be fine. I wouldn't do two males in that size tank as they will need more "floor space" for their territories.

anyways, here are helpful hints for sexing GBRs

males: no pink belly, black spot towards middle of body has no blue scales in it (blue scales surrounding it is normal)

females: Pink belly (will almost look like the pink was dabbed on (like paint) if she is showing good coloring), black spot towards middle of body has blue scales in it

I have attached a picture. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• p10102_eab6a00dc4.jpg
    p10102_eab6a00dc4.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 74
As far as finding GBRs locally, if you have a petco nearby they will carry them occasionally or if you ask they will get some in.I know many on this forum look down on the chain stores, but for me my local petco has a healthier and wider variety of fish that my LFS by far (sadly).

My male GBR came from petco and he is a very fine specimen now that he has been in my tank a few months. He has colored up nicely :)

I have attached a pic below (not the best pic), he is the one on the right, female on the left.

Attachments

• DSCN1184.jpg
    DSCN1184.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 74
I wouldn't add any rams to that tank personally. If I were to add rams to a tank, it would be GBRs over EBR based on hardiness alone.

+1 with HN1. Also you can order GBR's from private breeders that haven't been treated with hormones and seem to be a little healthier. OS.

Ok yeah I have a petco close ill go check out what they've got soon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just got back from petsmart. I got 2 bolivian rams. I have them in my quarantine tank.

seems like you are already fully stocked on the lower level of the tank. all but the gourami are bottom dwellers and so are the Rams. not enough foot print for all of them imo.

Bolivians are a bit larger that german blues...They also tend to be semi-aggressive, especially with their space and eating time (I know, I have a pair). You might want to consider a different tank for them.

I think you could have gotten away with it with the german blues since they are peaceful and smaller, but I definitely recommend you either free up the bottom of the tank (rehome your other bottom dwellers) or get the Bolivians their own tank.

In my Bolivian tank they are the only bottom dwellers, everything else is middle or top level.

alternate option I just thought up is get a larger and longer tank if you can.

Back
Top Bottom