GBR Died, mystery :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeebm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found my german blue ram dead today :'( She was hiding yesterday, but still came up to eat. I didn't think anything of it then. I don't know what could have caused her to die. Both my rams have been very active and eating like pigs. Her belly was swollen, I don't know if that is because she's dead or if it happened before. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, just checked(API kit).

Anyone know what could possibly have killed her?

Oh, and there's this black shell that was 2 inches away from her. It looks like a bug exo. Like a dragonfly nymph or something. Could this be related? If it is a larva, I can't find any trace of it, except the exo...

--Adeeb

GBRs are notorious for dying without a noticeable reason. I can't even count how many we've lost over the years. Doing fine one day then dead the next.

Also, what are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and pH. How often do you do water changes? GBRs don't handle water changes easily in my experience. The pH flux seems to be a big factor.

If a nymph was the reason, there'd be no fish left to find.

All zeros says something is off on the water test. Nitrate should be present in the vast majority of tanks.

As DF says, GBRs are notoriusly weak. Try to find them from a local breeder and their survival skyrockets.

Yeah, I thought all 0s was funny too, but then again my tank is heavily planted. And the kit has always worked before. pH is ALWAYS 8.2, no chance of that changing :/ I know it's a bit high for them, but if discus can take it, then they should be able to right? My other GBR seems fine for now *fingers crossed*

EDIT: HN1, you had some GBRs available right?

--Adeeb

We do, but they are all males unfortunately. Huge, healthy males, but we were hoping for some pairs.

I feel for you. I just lost two new, beautiful gold rams. The two neon blue rams I bought at the same time are doing just fine. I tested the water, and the aquarium store tested the water. It is just fine. They were carefully acclimated. Sometimes they are just weak, I think. I'm sorry about your fish.

Back
Top Bottom