Gbr eating bubbles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
Our largest Gbr is constantly eating the bubbles from the fizzer. He's not swimming through them and playing just nosing right in and eating them. Is this normal behavior for this kind of fish? Or is he lacking something in his diet? I've never had gbrs before and to be honest this is a first for me.

I've read that they often do that to bring the bubbles to their eggs to blow on them. Maybe that's a possibility? See any eggs around your tank? :D

Mine does the exact same thing.

I have a CO2 injected high light tank. Added to that, my CO2 injection of choice is an atomizer, which makes lots of little micro-bubbles. Needless to say, I've got some pearling going on with my plants. My male GBR will go around my tank and meticulously clean off all my pearling plants. I have no idea what goes though his head. My only thought is that it he might be trying to clean off stuff to use as a nest site, but somehow I doubt he's interested in the dwarf sag...

Weird fish is weird.

librarygirl said:
I've read that they often do that to bring the bubbles to their eggs to blow on them. Maybe that's a possibility? See any eggs around your tank? :D

Really!? Two of them have been sticking close together lately. I just thought they were buddies? Babies would be cool! Now I'm scouring my tank looking for eggs. Lol! Kind of regretting making them so many hiding spots. Don't they have to be a certain age though?

aqua_chem said:
Mine does the exact same thing.

I have a CO2 injected high light tank. Added to that, my CO2 injection of choice is an atomizer, which makes lots of little micro-bubbles. Needless to say, I've got some pearling going on with my plants. My male GBR will go around my tank and meticulously clean off all my pearling plants. I have no idea what goes though his head. My only thought is that it he might be trying to clean off stuff to use as a nest site, but somehow I doubt he's interested in the dwarf sag...

Weird fish is weird.

Hmm.. So maybe no eggs? Just a meticulous fish?? Lol!

If they're wandering around the tank together, they probably don't have eggs. It does indicate they're looking for a nice spot to do it though. Mine are in the same phase (which might explain the cleaning).

aqua_chem said:
If they're wandering around the tank together, they probably don't have eggs. It does indicate they're looking for a nice spot to do it though. Mine are in the same phase (which might explain the cleaning).

One will hide for long periods of time and then when it does come out the other one stays right close to it.. Come to think of it..they have both been chasing the others away from one log.

aqua_chem said:
Take a look. The eggs will be little and gray, and there will be between 50 and 200 of 'em.

Holy crap!! 50-200?? If they do I'm going to need a bigger tank! Little and grey hey? This should be fun most of the decorations in my tank are grey. Lol!

GBRs are horrible parents. You'll be lucky if any of them even hatch, much less survive their fry-hood.

aqua_chem said:
GBRs are horrible parents. You'll be lucky if any of them even hatch, much less survive their fry-hood.

That's bitter sweet, I've been looking this whole time and I don't see anything that looks like eggs. I did find my cats hiding spot though. That lil guy has worried me more times than I can count. How many rams do you have? We only have the three and the one is the only that eats the bubbles. I'd like to get one more to make their numbers even, what do you think?

It's only a 46 gal :-( still working on hubby to agree to another tank.

Back
Top Bottom