GBR-help! sexing the new kids in the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Def fem in front, probably a male behind.. I'd say you have a pair..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Look for higher ray spikes on the male. The first 2 or 3 will be noticeably longer.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How can you tell the one on the left is probably a male?

The female has a pink belly and her ovipositor is bulging and the ventral fins barely reach the anal fin.
Make lacks pink belly has a more slender body and longer finnage. If you look his ventral fins extend into the anal fin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Look for higher ray spikes on the male. The first 2 or 3 will be noticeably longer.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For the most part the pink spot/iridescent circle gives away the sex in gbrs and wc rams.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

At what age do the higher ray spikes become pronounced? As well as longer finnage and ventral fins extend into the anal fin? I was under the impression these features don't become very noticeable until 5/6+ months. The thing that has me confused is the fake eye spot is much lighter than it was when we got him and I can see just as much blue iridescence shining through as I can with the female, if not more. That and the pink belly are usually my go tos.

Honestly I would say they're both males but they look like young ones(4-5months?) so it is really hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom