GBR Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoutylad22

Aquarium Advice Activist
My male GBR died this morning after only 6 months of having him. I think it was from an internal parasite as he had a sunken belly.

My female is fit and healthy and now on her own. Would it be ok if I introduce a new male to the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As long as you think the tank is healthy it should be ok.
No guarantees they will pair up but they may.
Make sure she has hiding spots in case she doesn't like him.

Yeah it's healthy, all my other fish are healthy, water parameters are normal too. It's quite heavily planted so plenty places to hide. Ill give it a go and see what happens. Thanks.

I'd first identify the parasite and try to treat it. I've lost 8+ cory's to a parasite when I decided to put them in without treating for parasites (rookie mistake) Better to pro act rather than react.

I'd first identify the parasite and try to treat it. I've lost 8+ cory's to a parasite when I decided to put them in without treating for parasites (rookie mistake) Better to pro act rather than react.

+1 to nils! Make sure you are disease free. And like bandit said they may not pair but it's worth a try.

Caleb

I have been running a parasite treatment for nearly 2 weeks and all is good with my current fish. I will do extra maintenance on the tank today, substrate vac and big water change. I'll let the tank settle down for a couple of hours then go and get myself a Mr GBR. Thanks for the advice.

As long as you think the tank is healthy it should be ok.
No guarantees they will pair up but they may.
Make sure she has hiding spots in case she doesn't like him.

+1

I've heard of females being harassed to death by males they're not interested in. Keep an eye on them. If the male is getting overly-aggressive, you may want to re-home him.

Ok so I got another male GBR today, here he is ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433804051.486130.jpg

He has settled in really well and is looking fantastic. The best thing is that she likes him and they're getting on great ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433804202.619897.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433804266.957113.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433804297.752118.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433804366.122198.jpg

Back
Top Bottom