GBR sex questions (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, thanks.

Did I do good when I bought these the other day? Is 2M/1F good or should I have a different ratio? My current stocking is 3 cory cats, 3 neons (a few didn't make it), and these 3 rams.

Top 2 definitely males, and the bottom, more than likely a female. The pelvic fins are a little long, but does the belly have some pink on it? If it's got a pinkish belly, it's definitely female.

Actually, you should rething the ratio. If it's only 1 female with 2 males, she could get very stressed. Should be the other way around. Or if possible, you could get 2 more females.

For GBR's, absolutely. You will have no problems. I would also think about upping the number of neons as well, to maybe 6. Then you should be fine. May even have room for one more school of small tetras like rummy noses.

Just don't do too much at once. You can add the GBR's so they are in a good number. Then wait a week to up the neons, etc. Or of you want something a little more hardy, then add Cardinals with the tetras. They last longer, and do better than neons, and look very similar.

I'm not sure if I will do more neons or not. I think I started with 6 (or maybe 8, I forgot) and they didn't survive.

I was really pissed off about it, I talked to the LFS (Mr. Aquarium) owner after the 3rd death and he said "Oh, yeah. We've been having alot of problems with our recent batch of neons." Why did you sell them to me if you had so many problems!!!? He wouldn't refund my money, just gave me in-store credit. I'll just go buy some food or something else there and never go back.

I like to work with GBR's in pairs. The odd female always seems to get harassed. As for the neons, I guess I've been lucky. I started with 8 of them in January (they were the first fish I put in my tank after it was cycled). It still have 7 of them....

See there was your frist mistake going to Mr. Aquarium. he's store is run by idoits. Those males are nice. The bottom for sure female. I'd agree with LWB go with at least 2 more females. Then when you get your neons go to petsmart off I beleave it's slide and the loop. That's one of the better petsmarts there.

I thought you reccomended those guys, Weasel?

I won't do any more neons. I think I'll get some cardinals.

well I did to a point but mainly Bonnetts for there GBR's. Bonnetts has the best local breeder for there Rams. Mr. Aquarium has line breed germans and there staff is a little a slow. LOL but there bth good spots to go two of the best in Lubbock. As far as the best shop there on salection only one bonnetts in South Plans mall. I was just there today and the yong ladie waitted on me said I have a new shippment of GBR's and I can sex them now. LOL I lost it. went to Mr. A's and his tanks where empty. But there was some nice Cockato double reds a ladie brought back cuse here angles where nipping them and the males tail was ate off almost.
There was some nice bumble bee gobys in at Mr.A's I almost bought them. LOL Already have 3 don't need no more cause I got one female under a cave. I beleave with eggs.

Back
Top Bottom