GBRs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello Everyone,
I've just ordered 3 German Blue Rams from a private breeder off of EBay. They seem to be very responsible breeders and emphasized that their fish are NOT hormone injected. They also had quite a lengthy write up about their breeding methodology and care of GBRs.

I know that I've read on here and other websites that GBRs are difficult to keep. The breeders said that the water needs to be at 82 degrees minimum. That's my concern. My tank is at a steady 80 degrees. I'm not worried about anything else regarding the quality of the environment that I'll be putting them into, but I wonder if that 2 degree difference in the water is going to be a problem. If I raise the temperature, what about my other fish?
Angels, Rasboras, Danios, Tetras...

Wish me luck-Thanks,
D

I've never had problems with GBR ... I have three in my 75 and the water is at 78-79 ... They have been in there for months doing fine. I personally don't think they are that difficult to keep. Just keep the tank healthy like you would with any fish.

I've never had problems with GBR ... I have three in my 75 and the water is at 78-79 ... They have been in there for months doing fine. I personally don't think they are that difficult to keep. Just keep the tank healthy like you would with any fish.

Thanks for the encouraging words. It's odd because some people say they die easily, and other people say things like you said, no problems with them. I'm excited to get them, they're so beautiful.

I have mine at 79F and they are doing great. They have spawned twice so far. Most important thing with GBR's is to test and keep nitrates below 20ppm. They are awesome little fish. OS.

Thanks for the encouraging words. It's odd because some people say they die easily, and other people say things like you said, no problems with them. I'm excited to get them, they're so beautiful.
I love them so much. By people saying they die easily I believe they're talking about their occasional finicky tendencies and their sensitivities to nitrates. I've heard and experienced that they sometimes become finicky and sometimes refuse food all together. This although isn't entirely common and something that you shouldn't really worry about but just keep an eye out. The other thing is they're really sensitive to nitrates. Generally anything about 20+ is fetal to them, {in my experiences 10 is where they begin showing signs of displeasure} remember to keep that temp high! Amazing fish, love em to death. Good luck!

GBR's love warmer temps which is why they do good in discus tank but I've kept mine before at a cooler temp of 78F without issue. As OS stated nitrates are the important to keep low, no higher than 20ppm and even lower is better. The are sensitive to changing water parameters which is why it's not good to introduce them into non-mature tanks. Many of the GBR's available today come from Asian breeding farms that have horrible breeding practices and often inject young rams with hormones in order to get them to color up quicker for better sale. When GBR's are gotten from good breeders they are quite hardy fish IMO.

Wonderful news! My nitrates are always very, very low. So low that I've had people tell me that it's impossible. All I can say is that my plants and fish are doing great and nitrates are barely discernible based on the color chart that is enclosed with the API kit. I know that GBR also prefer soft water. I have well water, so it's highly unlikely that the water is "soft", but my tank has been established now for 9 months with great water parameters so I'm hoping that they will adapt if introduced properly to the environment. I feel confident that these breeders who are in the U.S. are doing their best to give them a good start genetically, so hopefully I will have no problems.

I was concerned about the food. I didn't know if I needed to feed frozen brine shrimp or not. I feed very high quality flake supplemented with algae wafers.

Based on your description I have a good idea who your buying from. They\He has great rams and all of mine are doing excellent in 80 degree hard water with a 7.6 PH, and once matured have had several successful spawns after the first two learning lessons. I find for gbr's
just keep really clean water and they'll do well. Good luck!

I feed my GBR's a variety of food from flake to frozen but one thing all my rams love is cooked, de-shelled, slight smushed peas. It's like feeding them candy.

Based on your description I have a good idea who your buying from. They\He has great rams and all of mine are doing excellent in 80 degree hard water with a 7.6 PH, and once matured have had several successful spawns after the first two learning lessons. I find for gbr's
just keep really clean water and they'll do well. Good luck!

It's a father & son business?

I feed my GBR's a variety of food from flake to frozen but one thing all my rams love is cooked, de-shelled, slight smushed peas. It's like feeding them candy.

I've heard that peas are one of the healthiest things to feed fish; it also helps with bloating? I'll put those on the menu, thank you.
D

Pea's act like a laxative and help with constipation, which in turn can cause bloat.

If you get 3 males you are probably going to have aggression so be sure to have hiding spots in various area's so each can set up a territory if they want to. You'd just have to monitor them.

Sounds like the same business I got mine from also. When you get your rams be sure and take plenty of time slowly mixing your tank water with theirs. I acclimated mine 1 oz. exchange at a time every 10 min for 2 hours. I'd do a 50% PWC the day before you get them to make sure nitrates are as low as possible. Mine have never slowed down. They beg for food every time I go to the tank and when they eat, the little pigs smack on their food. (Bad manners) lol OS.

It took mine about a month before they grew or colored up enough to tell the sexes but they sent me spot on, a pair. Plus he threw in an extra female free. Also some good literature on their care. OS.

Sounds like the same business I got mine from also. When you get your rams be sure and take plenty of time slowly mixing your tank water with theirs. I acclimated mine 1 oz. exchange at a time every 10 min for 2 hours. I'd do a 50% PWC the day before you get them to make sure nitrates are as low as possible. Mine have never slowed down. They beg for food every time I go to the tank and when they eat, the little pigs smack on their food. (Bad manners) lol OS.

I've never bought fish through the mail before. What about acclimating them to light? I'm relieved that others recognize this vendor on EBay and have had good luck with their stock.

Pea's act like a laxative and help with constipation, which in turn can cause bloat.

If you get 3 males you are probably going to have aggression so be sure to have hiding spots in various area's so each can set up a territory if they want to. You'd just have to monitor them.

That's what I had read. Maybe I should email the vendor on EBay. I had told him that I wanted 3 males, but that doesn't sound like a good idea.
Thanks-D

I got a pair of GBR's about a month ago, and they're doing great. Color is great and very active. Keep my water temp at 78F. For food, I drop in flake first then a couple 1mm sinking cichlid pellets near where they are (they're in a community tank). Also get bloodworms once a week and skip feeding once a week.

As everyone else said, monitor nitrates and be good about water changes. Also with just getting males, need to watch for aggression. My opinion would be get a M/F pair. but yea, they're great little fish.

I changed my order to a pair rather than 3 males.

Thanks for all the information everyone! I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom