GBRs forming pairs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to be selling my breeding pair of jewel cichlids and I'm going to have an empty 20g. In this 20g I'm going to try and breed GBRs. I'm planning on getting a couple ad letting them pair I would then go and take the ones that didn't pair and return them back to the store. I was planning on getting 4 and returning the two that didn't pair. Will 4 GBRs be okay in a 20g for a short period of time only long enough for a pair to form?

As I pointed out in an earlier thread, more than 2 gbr in a tank is asking for trouble. Just get a male and female and they will do their thing. You don't need to worry about trying to pair them up.

I'd be buying from pet smart and from there the fish have barely any color so I wouldn't be able to tell their gender. What should I do??

If you're looking at breeding then I would highly suggest investing in some fish that are a bit better quality, especially for a fish as sensitive as GBRs. You will have a higher success rate as well as better offspring.

Okay, I could buy from yunite for 30 but if I form a pair on my one it would only cost 10.

Okay, I could buy from yunite for 30 but if I form a pair on my one it would only cost 10.

Yes, but you said it yourself. The ones at petsmart had barely any color, soo little color that you couldn't even tell male from female. They aren't going to color up much if at all in your tank when you buy them (I am speaking from experience here) and genetics matter. Their offspring will be just as blandly colored as their parents.

There is a reason the pair of GBRs from petsmart only costs $10 and that's because they're poorly bred unremarkable fish.

I'm only pointing this out because the only real thing you can do with GBR fry is sell them; which if you have better quality fish you can ask for more money for them.

True, thank you very much. I think I'm going to order from yunite. Have you had any experience with them?

True, thank you very much. I think I'm going to order from yunite. Have you had any experience with them?

None at all. I get my GBRs from a local store. My last pair was $25 and they were well worth it although they are a little young still.

tidhDsg.jpg

Boop. Pandicorn gonna step in a bit. Elephant, your PM has reached a quota or whatever, so my long message about the drip process was deleted x). I'll post some pics later. However, there should be tons of links on YouTube on how to do it. It is better IMO for sensitive fish. However, be wary it does take more time, and you should watch the process
this is for SW, but it's the same concept. You don't really need shutoff valves, you can just tie some knots and adjust them to get the drip rate. Also, if you want (suggested) after your water doubles, empty 1/2 of it, then double it again, then release your fish.

Cheers! -Pandicorn

Okay, sorry about whatever that was. I just figured why not ask you as you have done the exact thing I'm going to do.

That's actually easier than I thought i have all of this stuff in the cabinets under my tanks.

Yup, no problem! I always thought it was super complicated until I did it myself! :)

I don't remember, I'm actually in China on vacation right now xD. I do believe it was 3-5 I think?

Google how to drip acclimate, it should give you some instructions... Sorry I can't help x(

Oh wow. Okay I think I'm at about that. It's been going about and hour. I'll probably do another.

Back
Top Bottom