GelTek contributing to BGA ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I didn't know which forum to put this in so I'm trying General Discussion - mods, feel free to move as you feel fit.

I've been using the GelTek PX treatment (for internal parasites) on the DP tank for three weeks (I have a 'hold out' that sometimes eats and she's the one that needs the treatment - the others are ok but since she may still be shedding parasites I need to continue to treat all her tankmates).

I've also been suffering from a BGA outbreak in the tank. I mentioned this to someone else and he too is using GelTek and now getting BGA, so I have to wonder if there's a connection.

After reading LWBs post about dissolved organics playing a role in BGA growth, I have to wonder if its the GelTek that's contributing.

Has anyone else ever noticed a correlation between using GelTek and a BGA outbreak ?

joannde said:
I've also been suffering from a BGA outbreak in the tank. I mentioned this to someone else and he too is using GelTek and now getting BGA, .
that would be me.. using get-tek on both my 75 for a angel and my DP tank...both are starting to develop BGA and alot of dissolved organics

It could very well be possible. I have BGA in my 29G that I've been fighting, and have fed NLS Thera+A, which doesn't get all eaten up and goes down into the Eco.

On the potential upside - whats the chance of the BGA magically going away once the GelTek treatment is finished ?? (yeah, I'm FISHING !!! "hope against hope" I guess you could call it !

LWB - have you noticed any difference since adding the carbon to your filter ?

Activated Carbon has definitely helped. My Eco is almost completely clean. In fact, I'm back up to the full 130W lighting on the 29G. Had it down to 65W for the last month or so. And boy do the plants pearl like mad. And I haven't had to clean the glass either and the green algae on the powerhead is starting to disappear.

Now Tom Barr can correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I think I'm doing right. First, I've got plenty of light for the plants I'm growing. Second, I'm running between 35-50ppm CO2, combined with mist. Third, I'm dosing EI. Fourth, I'm doing 50% PWC's weekly to reset all my parameters. Fifth, my lights are on 12 hours a day. Sixth, water temp is 78-79 degrees. And finally, I'm using AC in my filter.

Back
Top Bottom