Gender-bending platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fiferjanis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got four platties about a month ago, all female. I checked this several times in the store, in the bag, in the tank... They've been in quarantine by themselves with a couple of shrimp. They started to grow bigger... And now one has a wiener/gonopodium-thing. I've heard of gender-bending fish... Has anyone else experienced this? Or do I just have a knack for collecting Platy-dudes?

I got four platties about a month ago, all female. I checked this several times in the store, in the bag, in the tank... They've been in quarantine by themselves with a couple of shrimp. They started to grow bigger... And now one has a wiener/gonopodium-thing. I've heard of gender-bending fish... Has anyone else experienced this? Or do I just have a knack for collecting Platy-dudes?

Sorry, no gender bending going on here. All livebearers LOOK like females until they mature. Then the males show their stuff. This is totally normal. If you want guaranteed males and females, you need to buy pregnant females and males that are already showing their gonopodium. Otherwise it's just "Pot Luck"

Hope this solves your mystery (y)

Doh! Thanks! Well guys, I tried to liven up the frat party, but meet your new pledge. The good news is he comes with two chicks. So that's 4 girls for 3 boys... Hmm...

Back
Top Bottom