General Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I am new to this forum. I have a freshwater tank. It's 50 litres with two goldfish a black moor and a butterfly fish. They have a large filter, and air filter and thermometer in their tank. Please I don't want any nasty comments about the size, I know this tank is far too small for them. The Blackmoor was a rescue fish from a tank he was very sick when I got him I wasn't expecting him to survive but he did :) He would just lay on the bottom of the tank- he came from a tank where other fish were attacking him. So this tank was just a temporary thing for him. The butterfly fish a friend got it for a gift, So they have been living together for a little while now. They both get along really well.
I do weekly water changes of 50%, my ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate is currently 20, and PH 7.6. I regularly test the water and do extra water changes if needed. They are fed a good quality gold fish pellet which I soak before feeding. They are also fed blood worms a couple of times a week, they also occasionally get skinned peas. (which they love). I want to get them a new tank. I have read different things on the internet regarding sizes and things. What size would I need for them? They are large fish. I don't want to rush into buying a tank I want to do it properly. Any advice would be so helpful.

First and foremost at least you know they both need bigger homes. That's a good thing. The down side is they both need separate, bigger homes and you have a few choices to make.

Black Moor- "cold water" fish. 65°-75° and peaceful, omnivore, care-easy, does not usually jump out of tank

Butterfly (if it's a true African butterfly)
-tropical or "warm water" fish. 75°-86° and aggressive, carnivore, care-moderate, will jump out if given the chance.

Both will do best in at least a 30 and I would push to go a little bigger if you want them to have friends.

The 50% WC's are great. The sooner you move them to separate tanks the better.

Hi no shes not an African. The pet shop told me she is a cold water fish. Fancy goldfish has a tail like a butterfly sorry. Shes defiantly a cold water. Since they are ok together would you say 70?

Last edited:
A general rule for standard goldfish is min 30 + 10 for each thereafter. With those two, I'd get a 40 gallon breeder tank (they are longer and shorter than standard 40) or even a 55 gallon if you can make it. :)

Do you have a pic of your butterfly fish? Could it be a butterfly loach, aka a hillstream loach?

Sorry I have only just saw your messages. I am getting a new tank tomorrow. Thank you for your help. Sorry the picture is a bit blurry.

Back
Top Bottom