general questions about bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollin_22

Aquarium Advice Activist
i was just wondering what all the hype is about bettas..... i have always liked them, but know pretty much nothing about them...... so if anyone could tell me what i need to maybe house two or three of them, and anyother info i might need to get started with them..... this would be greatly appreciated....

thank you

Males are very agressive towards one another and must be housed separately. I would recommend at least a 2 Gallon Tank, but a 5 Gallon or larger tank would be even better. While they can survive without filtration, I would recommend getting a filter. Lower flow is usually considered better for bettas, since it makes it easier for them to swim. Definately get a heater, as they will do better with a consistant temp and are a tropical fish. Some Bettas will tolerate tankmates, while others will not. It depends on the individual fish. The love swimming through plants, so a heavily planted tank (real or fake) is appreciated. If you go with fake, make sure not to go with something that their fins will catch and tear on. This usually means that silk plants are preferred over plastic.

Bettas are carnavores and will need a protein rich diet. Their are several fish food out there specifically aimed at bettas which will provide a good starting place. You will want to make sure to provide some variety with more than one food for better health. Perhaps some flake and the occastional brineshrimp treat. They love live food and will thank you if you provide it to them, however they will quite well on prepared foods as well.

The hype is do to their beautiful finage and spunky personalities. This is one fish that will definately interact with you.

thank you for the quick reply.... so if i was to go with say a 5 gallon or maybe a 10 gallon, then i should put alot of plants, and just one betta in it? thank you

You could do several female bettas, but if you want the showier males you will need to stick to one per tank.

Males and females should only be mixed for breeding, just in case you were wondering. There are rare instances where males and females, or even several males have coexisted in the same tank. Usually this has been a very large tank, heavily planted, with TONS of hiding places. Definately not recommended though.

a ten gallon would be plenty for a betta. i went to my local dollar store and they had a hue assorment of plastic plants that i used in my aquariums without problem. just make sure they dont have the metal inside the plastic.this is a much cheaper way to plant the tank. u may also want to try liv planted tank if u never have. they are very rewarding once things start to grow and can look amazing in done properly. u may be able to get a small school of fish such as neons or harlewuin rasboros (2 of my favourite) and a few cories without to much problem. if u are goign to add other fish beside the betta just make sure to stay away from showy fish uch as gouramis and guppys because the colourful tales and long atenna will attrct the bettas attention and he may think of them as other males. also guppys will sometimes pick on the betta aswell. u could have alot of fun planning this out and could have a really nice tank when u are done. my betta is in a small 2 gallon eclipse tank and has been for nearly 2 years now and he is stwice the size of nay other betta out i have ever seen. and as perbox said they have alot of personality lol my betta flares at every one that comes into my room except me.

Some plastic plants are ok. Fake moneywort has small round leaves and shouldn't tear up the fins, I have that in my betta tank. Female bettas are great. If you find a good place to get them you can finds some that are just as flashy and colourful as males. Online betta breeders are great for quality females.

a 10G w/ 2 dividers (1 clear/1 opaque)(or 3 triangulated) is a good way to maintain and enjoy their displays.
when their ready to spawn remove 1 and add some females (use the divider to prevent agression) then remove the male to raise the young. all in the same 10 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom