German Blue Ram Compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would GBRs be ok with cardinal tetras, guppies, endlers, platies, black kuhli loaches, and african dwarf frogs?

20 tall. Sorry I forgot. The bioload is fine I am just worried about compatability.

GodFan said:
20 tall. Sorry I forgot. The bioload is fine I am just worried about compatability.

My blue rams got pretty aggressive with my tetras. That was in a 60g. Your "bio load" is not as fine as you think. New research had shown the inch per gallon rule a poor method for aquarist to follow. My blue rams got extremely aggressive when they started breeding, consider that too. Good luck!

I completely reject the 1 inch per gallon rule and other things have gone into consideration on the stocking level. PetSmart said I could (because of the inch per gallon rule) keep 2 of these in a 4 gallon tank. Made me mad that I couldnt get reasonable advice from them.

GodFan said:
I completely reject the 1 inch per gallon rule and other things have gone into consideration on the stocking level. PetSmart said I could (because of the inch per gallon rule) keep 2 of these in a 4 gallon tank. Made me mad that I couldnt get reasonable advice from them.

Yeah, most of them have no aquarium experience. Well anyhow, stock reasonably and you could be fine. Like I said, mine get real aggressive with the tetras and Bolivian rams. I brought back the blue rams and got Bolivian rams as they are more hardy and "friendly" with the tetras.

I agree. I dont think they sound great for this tank anymore.

The only fish my rams tolerate are kuhli's and panda corys unless they're in spawn mode. If they're getting ready to spawn then anything that swims is seen as a threat.

I was looking at GBR's and went with the Bolivians instead.
I have 4 in a 35 Gallon hex with 6 Tiger Barbs, 5 Bloodfin Tetra, 3 leftover Rosy Danios (from another tank )and 2 Oto Cats. No issues. I have the Four Rams and that Helps. They keep the Barbs in line, lol.

No issues but I am glad I have four vs 2 in my set up.

I hope so, because obviously a 5g tank is not practicing good fish care. I'm sure your right, probably a 20 long.
Petsmart said that was more than enough for a pair! Can you believe that! I even said "yea but I wanna make sure they have enough swimming space" and he said "yea a 5 gallon". It was terrible. But then again I saw a 6 inch EXTREMELY active fish (cant remember the name) that was labelled as being ok in a 10 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom