German Blue Ram Pair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can't tell- male or female?? I know the pink belly is obviously female (but would you believe that the lfs employee said it was male because males are more colorful?! Haha) anyways....the one on the left could go either way for me. No pink belly, but what could be blue shiny specks inside the black dot...hard to say since they're new and still nervous.

Also, if anyone has any advice on keeping them, I've not had the best luck in the past. Could possibly have been nitrates in the past, so I'll be checking them carefully...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432528151.991313.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Going to need a better photo sorry, I generally tell the difference in the rays on the dorsal. Try and get a close up of the front half :)

They both seem to be females since they both have pink bellies. I would need a better pic to be sure tho

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432577687.990678.jpg

This is the only other pic of the fish in question I have right now- but I can take more at lights on later tonight....they're very young, but it does kind of look like that dorsal Ray will be longer as they mature

If they are the same size "tough call".
If the one in question is clearly larger(can't say from first pics) then M&F.
Males are usually clearly larger.
The ray,spots,fins can all offer false info IMO.
How are they getting along may be more important now?
Do they hang?
Who is leader?
they are both good looking fish!:cool:

View attachment 272811

This is the only other pic of the fish in question I have right now- but I can take more at lights on later tonight....they're very young, but it does kind of look like that dorsal Ray will be longer as they mature

That one looks like a girl. You see the fin on the top? Since the end is curved it means it's a girl. If it's sharp and point it's a male

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432593244.762297.jpgmine is a male. See how the end is pointy?

If they are the same size "tough call".
If the one in question is clearly larger(can't say from first pics) then M&F.
Males are usually clearly larger.
The ray,spots,fins can all offer false info IMO.
How are they getting along may be more important now?
Do they hang?
Who is leader?
they are both good looking fish!:cool:

I've heard the same thing (about offering false IDs with physical characteristics). So far, they're hanging out together. Trying to remember if one is leading the other or not...I'll have to pay attention when I get home from work...

Back
Top Bottom