German Blue Ram Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
What PH level should I have 2 Pairs of German Blue Rams In? They are going to be my centerpieace in my tropical community.

10 Neons
10 _______ (Fill it in, something that schools and is unique in some way)
4 GBR (2x Pair)
5 Zebra Loaches
Gold Nugget Pleco or Vampire Pleco

What size tank, 2 pairs may not be a good idea?

The should adapt to your pH as you acclimate

I'm not sure how the other fish you have will go, but I have noticed the GBR's coloured up a tad more and became extremely active when i droped my ph a bit to 6-6.1 and put the temp up to about 28-29 degrees for my discus (i think the GBR's really like it hot). the neons will love ph around 6 or even less but dont know if they like it too hot, dont think the guppies would like any of these conditions either lol...

this is why its easy to do biotopes lol every fish wants the same parameters

I'm not sure how the other fish you have will go, but I have noticed the GBR's coloured up a tad more and became extremely active when i droped my ph a bit to 6-6.1 and put the temp up to about 28-29 degrees for my discus (i think the GBR's really like it hot). the neons will love ph around 6 or even less but dont know if they like it too hot, dont think the guppies would like any of these conditions either lol...

this is why its easy to do biotopes lol every fish wants the same parameters

yeah I am really only worried about the guppies in that low of ph, the rest of the fish should be plenty happy in that temp/ph level. I have been thinking I may leave my guppies in my 10 gallon so they are happy. Maybe test out how 3 do in the lower ph water and watch them to make sure its not hurting or bothering them in any way. i have read that GBR like ph as low as 6.5 so im really thinking i want to keep my ph around that.

Im thinking about replacing the Guppies with Serpae Tetras maybe? any other fish I should consider?

I'd be scared in a pH that low, because it could easily fluctuate, and from reading around, the nitrification process done by bacteria slows down so you have to watch your stock especially carefully.

Rainbowfish! Serpae tetras are great, but rainbowfish are ten times better :)

I'd be scared in a pH that low, because it could easily fluctuate, and from reading around, the nitrification process done by bacteria slows down so you have to watch your stock especially carefully.

Rainbowfish! Serpae tetras are great, but rainbowfish are ten times better :)

Opps i was mistaken its 6.5 - 7.0 ph GBR should be kept at. Im trying to only stock it with fish that can handle those water priam. I have been looking at Serpae tetras, they share almost the same water priam.

Actually, practically any community fish can handle those water parameters. Regardelss of what it is-discus, clown loach, swordtail, butterflyfish, etc-all fish can adapt to a range of pH, from anywhere from 6.5 to 8.5.

Actually, practically any community fish can handle those water parameters. Regardelss of what it is-discus, clown loach, swordtail, butterflyfish, etc-all fish can adapt to a range of pH, from anywhere from 6.5 to 8.5.

Right on thanks for the info mate

I have been researching ram tankmates quite a bit as I just got a pair a couple weeks ago. The two that really caught my eye were black neon tetras and emporer tetras. The information I read showed the neons were also from south america and like very similiar water parms and the schooling will help the rams feel more secure. The emporers seemed to like the temps a little lower than ideal, but look like they could be ok as well. Enjoy the rams, mine are my faves!

i have had 2 blue rams for about 8 months now. they are doing very well. i will include pics. my ph is around 6.2. i'm not having any trouble with my water parameters. ammon.0 nitrates 15 and nitrites 0 i do a water change (ro water) every 3 days and clean my tank gravel each week. half the gravel at a time. my rams eat flake food, cichlid pellets, algae tabs and live black worms. i also have dwarf gourami's, mollys, glo fish, x-ray tetras and plattys. i choose fish that can live in the rams ph and water parameters. the natural ph out of my faucet is over 8 so it's not suitable for the rams. i use ro water and mix in a bit of treated tap to get my ph between 6 and 6.4 the rams are doing great in the water. their color is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom